Author Topic: Newbie - Need help setting up system  (Read 5879 times)

Offline phatsteve

Newbie - Need help setting up system
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:53:32 am »
Hello everyone!

Here is my story:  I have a currently working KHD-CX-910 (actually I have two) connected to a DDX8017.  Before Phatnoise decided to quit responding to emails I bought the PMM 3.52 (full) and VIOT plug-in which works on my XP machine.  Trouble is, I have the PC in a dual boot configuration and had planned to fully move over to Win7 (64-bit) after getting everything transferred (I cannot run virtual XP in Win7 -hardware limitation). When I try to get the software loaded on Win 7 it gives me registry errors and doesn't recognize my DMS.  To further clarify, I have 2 USB 2.0 (one GM and the other Mazda) cradles and one Kenwood USB 1.1 cradle, two 10 Gig Kenwood DMS's and 2 GM DMS's.  All of the DMS's show up in win 7 and I am able to navigate the folders in explorer using the 2.0 cradle.  The one DMS that is currently in the car has the VIOT option on it, but the others do not (or is it unit specific?) and of the 4 DMS units I have, I have only used the one that is currently installed.  None of my equipment has been modified (hacked) nor have I replaced the HD's in the DMS's.

My dilemma is that I would like to get my act together and get the system updated to the lasted firmware, have the GM DMS's converted to Music Keg (I doubt I can do video with the CX-910?) and have a solid working system that I can put my MP3's/FLAC on with the VIOT and ACC working on all the DMS's.  I am not so concerned about getting larger drives at this moment, nor hacking my system (unless I need to) Right now I am just disorganized to the point that it is frustrating trying to get everything working!  I would love to get some help on what steps I need to get going in the right direction. 

Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:55:16 am by phatsteve »

Offline phatsteve

Re: Newbie - Need help setting up system
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:50:11 pm »
Well I got home today and thought about it for a while and came up with an easy solution:  I have about 4 computers around the house that still have XP on them and one of them is a game server that I only use when I am hosting games.  I regularly remote desktop into it to run the server while playing on another machine, so I installed PMM 3.92 on it as well as DMS Tools.  The Kenwood DMS's were already on 13.01 so I just reformatted the two GM models in Disk Management and then popped over to DMS tools and created a couple new 40 GIG Kenwood DMS's.  Everything seems to be in order, so I'll try one of them out tomorrow.

Thanks for making the tools available!

Cheers,
Steve

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Newbie - Need help setting up system
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:36 am »
Hopefully everything is worked out for you!

You really should look to hack your boxes ASAP as you never know when you are going to need to change the disk in the DMS... and all too often people realised this when it's too late.

Do it now, then it's done and if you run into problems further down the line you really don't have to worry about it! :)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)