Author Topic: 60GB DMS only shows 18.3GB????  (Read 5069 times)

Offline brettlar85

60GB DMS only shows 18.3GB????
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:54:25 am »
Ok, so I bought a 2003 Jetta from a private seller who had a PhatBox installed when he bought the car new with a 60GB hard drive.  At first, on my computer the DMS showed it held roughly 60 gigs.  Now it only shows 18.3 gigs....why the change? I've searched everywhere on the forums for the possible cause, but haven't found any posts with a similar issue. Here's a summary of what I've done in order since I first tried to load my music on the DMS.

1. Loaded PMM from the CD I got with the car...version 1.87 I believe.
2. Removed all of the prev. owner's music off using version 1.87.  Tried to load my music on, but voice prompts wouldn't work (I'm using    Vista).  Did a google search, came across this site, found instructions for working voice prompts in Vista
3. Uninstalled version 1.87, installed 3.92, uninstalled, then reinstalled numerous times until I figured out how to get AT&T Natural Voices to work properly.  Finally got it to work. 
4. Got frustrated with the newer version, decided that I could probably make the voice prompts work with the easier to use older version (easier for me to use anyway).  Here's where I noticed that now the DMS now only read that it held 18.3 GB, not the 60 it used to. 

This may not be a complete summary...I tried so many different things to figure out why the voice prompts wouldn't work.  The DMS does work fine in my car...it plays music and voice prompts perfectly, it just doesn't show as much space as it used to. Any ideas as to why my space suddenly disappeared?  Thanks in advance!

Offline brettlar85

Re: 60GB DMS only shows 18.3GB????
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:43 am »
OK, so apparently I'm an idiot and actually have a 20 gig HD in my DMS.  I opened it up and sure enough, there was a 20 gig HD sitting in there.  But that still doesn't explain why the previous owner swore it was 60 gigs and why when I first opened up PMM it showed up as 60 gigs.  Why would it show that it has more space than it actually does?