Author Topic: Should I hold off on updating VW/Audi version?  (Read 9512 times)

Offline Pinky

• A few posts under my belt.
Should I hold off on updating VW/Audi version?
« on: August 02, 2005, 10:20:14 pm »
I just bought a 100 GB drive yesterday, but after seeing all the problems that VW/Audi owners are experiencing, I'm wondering if I should try this tonight.  I have a 20 GB DMS and the VW version of the Phatbox.

Any suggestions as to how (and whether) to proceed?  Should I try the boot CD or go straight for the manual load?

Offline Pinky

Re: Should I hold off on updating VW/Audi version?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 12:06:42 am »
Need some help!

Can one of the gurus send me a PM or give me a shout in the IRC channel?  I tried the boot CD, but that gave me Code 5.  So I tried the manual method, but I get no log files on the PHTSYS partition after popping the old DMS in the 'Box.

Thanks.

Offline jerryfreak

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 07:24:45 am »
so whats the word? did you get it to work. I've got a vw/audi version, not sure if I'm ready to do it yet. any vw/audi success stories out there?

btw, newegg's got toshiba 100gb drives for $147...

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 02:41:31 pm »
Mine is working fine. I've got a 100gb Seagate. It seems that once DMS was changed to the new hard drive. All of the booting problems was related to my copying my "plugins" folder over to the new drive. Right now I don't have any plugins but Judb recommended something for me to try but haven't had a chance to mess with that.

But it should work fine! Go aheah, take your time read everything first and understand what you're doing and then give it a try. I'm not sure if you want to do the manual or the Boot CD, I'd recommend the boot CD way.
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline Pinky

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 07:56:12 pm »
Sorry Jerry, I didn't see your reply.  I have not yet gotten my VW Phatbox to work with another drive.  All the problems I've had so far are with hacking the Phatbox itself - before the new HDD goes in the DMS.  Please see the other thread I've started to see what my issues are.  I'm a fairly technical user, followed the directions to a 'T', and have run into problems.  I'm not complaining though!  I'm sure I'll get it working eventually with the help of this talented forum!   ;D

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 09:01:05 pm »
I have two Audi/VW units I converted to Kegs. Performed the manual patch method. Copied the keys and sig from the original drive to my new 100 GB drive manually and everything works fine. I have NOT used the automated CD or floppy methods

Offline tgnb

• cut me some FLAC!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 02:12:39 pm »
I have performed the CD upgrade on my VW unit yesterday. Everything went error free, but the new DMS was not recognized by the patched VW Phatbox. I followed the instructions here to manually hack the DMS. This worked fine and i'm up and running with a bigger DMS :) Thanks everyone.

Offline jenkins

• PB A6 40 GB
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 09:55:05 am »
No is the answer.

As for me it worked by using the CD AND following the hints from "Re: VW/AUDI 20gb DMS hack... Help" by genesis. Replaced original 20 GB (Audi/VW-PB) by 40 GB from my Mac mini. Without the hints the RNS in my A6 just said "NO MAGAZINE", but afterwards: plenty of music, no problem. Give it a try!

Jenkins, Osnabrück, Germany

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 11:18:07 am »
I used the cd method to hack an Audi box & ran into a couple of problems with my original DMS and the new hard drive.  

I Repartition/reformat the original DMS (fast, no block check) using the hack cd then reinstalled the firmware using PMM off the cd that came with my Audi phatnoise to get the original DMS working I then followed the instructions given in

"Re: VW/AUDI 20gb DMS hack... Help" by genesis

to the letter I now have 80gb Toshiba working perfectly.

It seems as long as you don’t scribble over the drive signature in the first place (follow the instructions & you shouldn’t) you can reparation/reformat using the hack cd then reinstall firmware using pmm from the VW/Audi phatnoise cd & you get your DMS back to standard Audi / VW spec.

As far as the box itself the hack cd worked fine on that

So from my point of view thanks to everyone here and give the cd a go  ;D

Offline fw_fw

• Phatbox'n Phool
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 03:03:35 am »
Well, completed my hack on a VW Phatnoise, going from a 20GB to a 40GB.  My experiences mimic the ones above, i.e. everything looked like it was working perfect using the Hack CD, but the hacked DMS would not work in the Phatbox.  Followed the manual steps for hacking the replacement DMS outlined by Genesis in his post and it works perfectly!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 03:52:04 am »
Please post any details you can when you have one method work and another fail..

Examples:
Size of source DMS (Make and Model number also handy)
Type of box you are running the hack on (VW / Keg )
Type of USB Cradle (DMS-USB2 Rev A)

and anything else you can think of that might be helpful.

Offline fw_fw

• Phatbox'n Phool
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 02:05:44 pm »
Please post any details you can when you have one method work and another fail..

Examples:
Size of source DMS (Make and Model number also handy)
Type of box you are running the hack on (VW / Keg )
Type of USB Cradle (DMS-USB2 Rev A)

and anything else you can think of that might be helpful.

DMS 20GB
VW Phatbox
DMS-USB2 (rev is blank)

Couple of things:

1) Running DMS doctor showed the error on aadec.sig on both DMSes

2) The other thing I noticed during the manual hack of the DMS's:

2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out

shows up on the screen for for both the old & new DMS.

However, for the phathack CD :

2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out

for the original DMS but you get

8+0 records in
8+0 records out

for the "new" DMS

Judb, I do have a "spare" VW phatbox setup that has not been hacked.   If you are interested in using this phatbox to help debug & refine the hack CD send me an email at fw_fw@NOSPAMbellsouth.net (remove NOSPAM)

Frank

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 03:12:44 pm »
That's interesting about the 8 records in and out on the new DMS... hmmm...

What I need is a new source DMS (preferably a VW 20 gig DMS) to test with as that seems to be where the most issues are showing up.

thanks.

Offline dafamous12

• Smurfin On 18 Wheels Across The U.S.A!!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 03:13:15 pm »
I just got a vw phatbox yesterday and ran the hack on it. It went flawless without a hitch using the cd. Do they use different chipsets in some boxes that sometimes make this harder than It should be?

Offline fw_fw

• Phatbox'n Phool
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 03:43:01 pm »
That's interesting about the 8 records in and out on the new DMS... hmmm...

What I need is a new source DMS (preferably a VW 20 gig DMS) to test with as that seems to be where the most issues are showing up.

thanks.

If you would like to borrow mine (unhacked) I'm up for it, as long as I get it back in working condition.

Shoot me an email.....

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 05:27:51 am »
I just got a vw phatbox yesterday and ran the hack on it. It went flawless without a hitch using the cd. Do they use different chipsets in some boxes that sometimes make this harder than It should be?

I don't know, thats why I haven't found a fix for it yet.  Thanks for letting me know it works for you, what size drive did you do it from? 20 gig?  Can you give me a make and model of the drive?

If you would like to borrow mine (unhacked) I'm up for it, as long as I get it back in working condition.

Shoot me an email.....

That might be useful.. let's see what defamous has to say about his setup that did work correctly.. perhaps the drive isn't the issue.

Offline bazmk2

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 06:17:26 pm »
I have also had problems with a VAG box (see my previous thread)

I bought a new box and this went without only minimal problems (stopped halfway so had to do the ramdisk.sig thing)

The DMS was the original one from the box that came with the car, so I don't think its the drive.

I've noticed that the box in my car, now sat on my office floor, doesn't have a FCC warning on it that the recent one does.  Perhaps they were changed, maybe a smaller run that went out to VAG dealers initially?

Offline fw_fw

• Phatbox'n Phool
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2005, 09:33:47 pm »
One other thing I just remembered:  I used a Boot CD built from the Floppy Boot Image.  I had trouble with Nero 6.6 using the CD ISO, so I built one using the Floppy Image instead

Offline timps

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2005, 07:34:25 pm »
DMS 20 G rev B (containing a Toshiba MK2018GAP drive)

Audi Phatnoise VA-012-PBOX rev-

DMS-USB2 rev-

I used the CD method  with the problems mentioned in my earlier post but the box hacked first time it seemed to be an issue with the DMS and the firmware.