Author Topic: Phatbox turned to 'wetbox'....  (Read 4719 times)

Offline acfnews

Phatbox turned to 'wetbox'....
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »
Hi All,

Last week a lot of snow and frost in our country had a nasty side effect. A hose for my rear-screenwasher frose, and started leaking into the area where my phatbox was mounted.

I dis-assambled the whole as quickly as possible and basically found :
-DMS cardridge was filled with water
-Phatbox itself showed some minor water spots on the bottom, the mainbord seemed fine

Due to the diskdrive being really wet, i suspected it to be bricked. It tried to clean & dry it, but in the home-usb-cradle it did not came back to live. A new disk is the only solution here.
I used PhatHack DMS tools and PhatHack media manager to re-construct the cardridge.

However, the unit still seems to not function. I measured voltage on the regulator and at least the unit get's voltage from the car's radio.

Question to the guro's on this board:
- should the unit show me some leds at this stage ?
- Am i at the point that only 'hacking' the DMS will get me out ?

Thanks for any help,

Ron

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Phatbox turned to 'wetbox'....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »
If the unit works at all, when the radio is on you should at least have a red light showing the unit is getting power.

Even if the unit is working, you must have an original working DMS in order to hack the box.  As you indicated the original DMS is dead, you would either have to buy or borrow an original DMS to do the hacking procedure.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Heretic86

Re: Phatbox turned to 'wetbox'....
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:02 pm »
Pack it in RICE.  Yes, RICE.  Just make sure it doesnt get into the mechanical bits of the electronics, but hopefully it will absorb the moisture after a couple of days.  Same advice goes for a cell phone.