Author Topic: PhatHack DMS Tools 2.12 vs Firewall = Crash  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Heretic86

PhatHack DMS Tools 2.12 vs Firewall = Crash
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:42:51 pm »
So I fire up DMS Tools (version 2.12) hit the DMS Tools Mode button and get an outgoing connection alert.

#1:  Whats up with that?

#2:  When I DENY the outgong connection requests to highwind.bingner.com, then to 81.x.x.x.servers.dedipower.net, it crashes.

I'll assume that since .NET Framework 2.0 was required, it was something assinine that Microsoft put together as they like to be able to monitor everything a person does and sell it. Although Im not that concerned about my privacy here as opposed to the less than honorable "Sell everythingthing we can find out about you to everyone with a penny" crowd, I'd still like to know exactly what this is. 

If it happens to be a "check for new version" feature, thats fine, but just give me an option to turn it off or rewrite the error handler so the program doesnt crash if the outgoing connection is blocked.

Okay, I take it back, it doesnt crash, but times out after about 30 seconds?  Could also reduce that time to be something a little less, like a second or two...

Fantastic tool otherwise...

Just a bit of feedback...

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: PhatHack DMS Tools 2.12 vs Firewall = Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:47:37 pm »
The outgoing check is for our firmware file list (am.xml), so that as new firmware becomes available (should it ever) then we only need modify this file to support them.

You should always allow the connections from this application, I promise you there is nothing malicious within it!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Heretic86

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:02:30 am »
I believe you, I was just more concerned about the program timing out while trying to do the check.  Not everyone has high speed, and as a result, said people may think the program just doesnt work...  Besides, you might get bored with the PhatHack project and move on to do something else, in which case, the site might go away too...  It happens.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:31:45 am »
The project is SVN'd (admittedly it needs updating) - and as long as this site exists, the relevant files exist.  And I don't run this site ;)

As for lack of interest, that's not going to happen any time soon.  I still have my Keg (just not hooked up ATM) - but my work colleague does and we're constantly improving PhatHack Media Manager from various angles (CarPC for me, MP3 Player for the wife, Phatbox for my colleague).

Plenty of life around in these boxes yet! :)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)