Author Topic: Irresponsive PC while inserting new (hacked) DMS cartridge  (Read 5625 times)

Offline acfnews

Irresponsive PC while inserting new (hacked) DMS cartridge
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »
Hi All,

After succesfully been able to hack the phatbox itself, i am now trying to prepare a new DMS.

I have mounted a new fresh 80GB disk into a old DMS house, so i can safely experiment, and leave the original DMS as is.

With the DMS-Hack tools, i succesfully could create a fresh DMS. All partitions seem to be created.
However, when i insert this one into the phatbox, i get the blinking green light. I believe this is a boot-failure.
When i insert the disk in the cradle again, the PC get's irresponsive.
The disk does not seem to be recognized anymore. When i re-format the disk as FAT, no issues at all... Hardware seems fine. ?.

Am i doing something wrong ?

Thanks !

ron

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: Irresponsive PC while inserting new (hacked) DMS cartridge
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 07:19:57 pm »
However, when i insert this one into the phatbox, i get the blinking green light. I believe this is a boot-failure.

Can you describe the pattern and speed of the blinks?

When i insert the disk in the cradle again, the PC get's irresponsive.
The disk does not seem to be recognized anymore. When i re-format the disk as FAT, no issues at all... Hardware seems fine. ?.

What Windows version (and architecture) are you using? I had a similar issue with a WD1200BEVE drive in a USB 2.0 cradle on Windows 7 x64.

Offline acfnews

Re: Irresponsive PC while inserting new (hacked) DMS cartridge
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 05:45:25 pm »
Hi,

To answer your question : first only tried on a laptop, with AtomCPU, windows XP (SP3).
This afternoon tried a linux server, which showed me loads of errors on the USB bus.
After a reformat in linux, these errors were gone.
I will re-try the phathack dms tools, to partition/format again to see if this would help....

Thanks for the help,

ron