Author Topic: Adding a Larger DMS hard Drive ?  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Razor

Adding a Larger DMS hard Drive ?
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »
This may be a stupid question but here goes anyway. Could a person take a regular Phatnoise cartridge (20gig perhaps), copy the internal OS etc, to a larger 5400 fat32 drive, and replace the new larger HD into the DMS case & make it work? The original 20gig drive seems to be partitioned into two parts, one for the OS, the other for music. It would seem that it could work, but I bet I am missing something, as I have not heard of it being done, other than by a hacking method of which I am not sure if I could handle.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Adding a Larger DMS hard Drive ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
This site is called Phathack for a reason:  The only way to use a different drive other than the original DMS in your Phatbox is to hack the box.

There is software available to make hacking as easy as possible.  I suggest you read through some of the top posts in the Phatbox Hacking section of this forum.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Razor

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:38:42 pm »
This site is called Phathack for a reason:

If by chance one screws up in the hacking process, can the box [kenwood CX-910] be reversed back to the original? And also, any ideas on the following subject?
      I am presently using the music keg in a 2006 Sienna XLE. Due to the style of the dash, with NAV.(GPS),4 disc changer,etc, I am using the keg remotely with the KCA-R70 display. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to adapt a better display unit without having to change out the radio. In other words, leave the original radio alone, & have the display unit mounted elsewhere?
The audio is presently picked up, using the aux stereo jack on the dash, so the modulator is really not needed, other than being used to control the display unit.

Offline Razor

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:59 pm »
I think I messed up on posting this last message. Sorry about that  :'(

will resend....

Offline Razor

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:43:49 pm »
If by chance one screws up in the hacking process, can the box [kenwood CX-910] be reversed back to the original? And also, any ideas on the following subject?
      I am presently using the music keg in a 2006 Sienna XLE. Due to the style of the dash, with NAV.(GPS),4 disc changer,etc, I am using the keg remotely with the KCA-R70 display. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried to adapt a better display unit without having to change out the radio. In other words, leave the original radio alone, & have the display unit mounted elsewhere?
The audio is presently picked up, using the aux stereo jack on the dash, so the modulator is really not needed, other than being used to control the display unit.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:08:34 am »
As far as the hack process goes... yes, simply use the DMS tools to re-install the original firmware ('Install non-hacked firmware' option).
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)