Author Topic: 2nd Hand VW/Audi Phatbox only has red and fast flashing green LED  (Read 7842 times)

Offline gazza

Hi,

Having purchased a phatnoise box system 2nd hand, I am trying to get this to work in Audi S4 with Symphony I. The cradle and DMS seem in good working order, as I am able to load music via PMM and have been able to repair DMS (Full and PHTSYS) ok with no errors. The cable is brand new as was originally missing, so hopefully can be elminated also.
Problem is that as soon as connected up and DMS inserted, red and green come on, green flashes slowly 4 times, before green flashes continually (red remains on). After about 5 minutes, both lights go off for about 5 seconds, then the cycle starts again. I have left it doing this for at least five cycles, so I am sure I have left it long enough to complete.

Things I have tried so far:

1) Using Phathack DMS tools - Update firmware to Audi 7.02 - files are copied, but same outcome when DMS inserted
2) Using Phathack DMS tools - Repair DMS (PHTSYS) - format and files are copied, but same outcome when DMS inserted
3) Using Phathack DMS tools - Repair DMS (FULL) - formats E and F and files are copied, but same outcome when DMS inserted
4) I have tried using XP format to clear PHTSYS, and then re-ran 2 and 3 above - but guess this is same format in any case.

(note I am yet to get the header unit to recognise anything when CDC button pressed, but have always left it switched off during most attempts)

Looking on the various threads here, they mention various log files, none of which exist on my PHYSYS drive, so I have nothing to post here or compare to others - how can I force these to create? I have tried copying the rc.sig and rc.sh files from www.phathack.com/bushing (level10) which I thought would rectify this? (still no logs created)

I am hoping the phatnoise unit is not broken - but then it seems to be following a known routine which would suggest its ok, so I am hoping it is just a DMS config issue - your help really appreciated!! (note I have yet to see this system working!!)

Thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: 2nd Hand VW/Audi Phatbox only has red and fast flashing green LED
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:02 am »
My guess is, that with the lack of logs - the box isn't getting beyond the boot process.
If you already have one, wipe the contents of the bootload.log file and save it as an empty file - if you don't have this file (PHTSYS\bootload.log) then create it and boot the box again.

Post the result here.... and I'll tell you what's up! :)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline gazza

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 11:30:14 am »
Hi

Please find below copy of bootlog file created as you suggested:

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0-2: Failed

Hope this gives you an indication of what is going on!

Thanks for your prompt reply!

Gazza

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:07:15 pm »
You've wiped the signature from the disc, meaning you'll either need to find an original DMS to be able to get started up again, or hack your box .... or find someone who will be able to hack your box or loan you a valid DMS.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline gazza

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 03:33:07 pm »
Thanks again for reply.

As I have only ever formatted E and F and not run any partition tools, can only think that the previous owner must have done something with it. I have a backup of the PHTSYS I took before I made any changes or ran the repair utilities (i.e. as DMS arrived) - there is a directory on there called \backup where there is a file called drive-sig-1mb.bin which has a size of 1024kb  and a file called dms-serialnumber.txt - I have seen there are ways to rebuild the magic 1mb partition - can you advise if this is possible? I am fairly it savvy, and know a few people that are even more so, so if there is a way happy to try!

I know it would be easier just to hack the box with a working DMS, but don't have access to one! (unless anyone near Esher, Surrey has one) Happy to paypal a deposit if anyone out there would be happy to post also.

Cheers

Gazza

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:36:02 pm »
You can use dd.exe (included in the tools)  to write that file back to the drive assuming  it belongs  to that drive - but if it's a signature from another drive, you will be in the same position.

Offline gazza

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:38 pm »
All fixed now. Had to purchase another complete system and using the DMS that came with the 2nd set have hacked both boxes so now both will accept either DMS.

Thanks for all your help - was thinking original box would end up being used as a doorstop - now just need to re-sell the 2nd set - the first set uses the smaller phatnoise unit and fits the car better. (why do some of the boxes have the huge 'lugs' on the side?)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 09:20:46 am »
Glad you are back up and running.  The 'lugs', if I understand what you mean, are just different styling for different end-manufacturers.