Author Topic: Need a little help fixing DMS  (Read 10355 times)

Offline jphphotography

Need a little help fixing DMS
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:07 am »
My brother just picked up a new car and it came with the Phatnoise system (its a 2003 Jetta), before this I had never heard of Phatnoise. I connected the DMS to the computer via the cradle and when I run the Phatdoc scan it says Fail: Could not find system file.At first I couldn't even connect to the dms, I found that the partition names were "PHATSYS" and "PHATDTA" so I changed them to "PHTSYS" and "PHTDTA" and was able to get PMM to see the device. I then backed up all the files in the SYS folder, deleted them from the device and copied over files from the firmware files I downloaded from this site (I made sure to use the correct version), when I scanned the next time it said could not open XML file which I assume to be the CurrentSetup.xml file.

I've since copied the original files back.

To my knowledge the HDD hadn't been reformatted before so the "magic" files should be untouched but I have no way of knowing this for sure.

Any advice on how I could get this working would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JPH

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Need a little help fixing DMS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:10:20 am »
The 'DMS Doctor' really is about as much use as a chocolate teapot (to coin the phrase).

Seriously, it's pointless.

I presume you have a problem, perhaps you could start by describing what that problem is?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:35:00 pm »
Sorry I thought I had described the problem ;)

When the DMS is plugged into the car and "cd" is pressed on the deck it just says "no cd". Unfortunately the car isn't here right now so I can't check what the LED codes read. I ran all DMS doctor to see if anything failed and since the System test failed I assumed that was my problem. Is there another diagnostic tool you would recommend I use?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 07:58:43 am »
No CD can mean a few things, at it's most serious it could mean that the box is not booting correctly - but at it's simplest it could mean the box is booting but doesn't actually have any music on it.

You said you had two partitions incorrectly named - which gives me a concern that the previous owner (?) has wiped the partitions from the disk, and this could be the cause of your problem as any non-PhatNoise or non-PhatHack partitioning tools are likely to start the first partition at byte 0, when it needs to be after the 1st MB (which you seem to already know).

Also, copying the firmware files manually can be a little hit and miss - particularly with new partitions as they often need to be copied over in a specific order.

If you believe the 1st MB to be untouched, my recommendation would be to install my DMS tools (you can find them here http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2499.0.html) and to run the 'Create New DMS' process.

Select the appropriate firmware version
Select the option 'Install non-hacked firmware' (my guess is the box is unhacked)
Uncheck the option 'Reflash box' if you know the box has the selected version installed.  (Note, the DMS tools will attempt to list the version on the DMS - but this is not necessarily an indication that version has been successfully applied to the box!)

Once the DMS is created (the process will re-create the partitions in the correct place, with the correct names), then use PhatNoise MM to apply a single playlist of music, Save & Eject and then go and try the DMS in the car.

Assuming it fails (I have a feeling it will), then run the 'Boot Check' process available under the DMS Tools.  If necessary, put the DMS back in the car (the DMS tools will tell you if this is required).  The DMS tools should give you an indication of whether or not the box is successfully booting and if not, what the cause is.

Let us know how it goes, if the boot check happens to succeed then we have further ways of looking into things...
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:04:59 pm »
Ok so the car is here now, when I plug in the DMS the HU is detecting it and there is LED activity.

I had previously downloaded DMSTOOLs but there were just a bunch of exe's in the folder and I wasn't sure which one to use so I didn't run any until I could get more information. Which program would I launch to so I can run "Create New DMS" ?

When you talk about the files having to be copied over in the correct sequence what do you mean? I made sure all of the paths were correct.

I think you're right that the box is unhacked, the guy that my brother bought the car off of said the unit worked until we hit a cold snap (-40°C) then quit. The fact that the volume labels of the partitions was changed causes me to question what the guy told my brother, or perhaps the HU would still recognize it even if the names were changed and its just PMM that would have issues? If that's the case maybe the guy used the phatnoise system but was never able to add music to it himself? Anyway this is all just speculation.

Once I hear back from you about which exe to run I'll try the "Create New DMS' step.

Thanks a lot for all of the info, I appreciate it.

Here is a list of files in the system partition (from my backup of it) maybe you'll be able to see if any files are missing?
PHTSYS\51d
PHTSYS\51d.sig
PHTSYS\aadec
PHTSYS\aadec.sig
PHTSYS\blank.bif
PHTSYS\blank.sig
PHTSYS\boot.pac
PHTSYS\boot.sig
PHTSYS\boot5.pac
PHTSYS\boot5.sig
PHTSYS\CurrentSetup.xml
PHTSYS\Data
PHTSYS\exec.ini
PHTSYS\exec.sig
PHTSYS\firmware.pac
PHTSYS\firmware.sig
PHTSYS\flacplay
PHTSYS\flacplay.sig
PHTSYS\hdparm
PHTSYS\hdparm.sig
PHTSYS\images
PHTSYS\linux
PHTSYS\linux.sig
PHTSYS\nmp3
PHTSYS\nmp3.sig
PHTSYS\oggplay-ha
PHTSYS\oggplay-ha.sig
PHTSYS\oggplay-la
PHTSYS\oggplay-la.sig
PHTSYS\phat
PHTSYS\phatbox.ini
PHTSYS\phatd
PHTSYS\phatd.sig
PHTSYS\PhatMan.ini
PHTSYS\phatwma
PHTSYS\phatwma.sig
PHTSYS\pkeys2.e
PHTSYS\pkeys2.sig
PHTSYS\pkeysa.e
PHTSYS\pkeysa.sig
PHTSYS\playloopfile
PHTSYS\playloopfile.sig
PHTSYS\print.txt
PHTSYS\prog.bif
PHTSYS\prog.sig
PHTSYS\progpld
PHTSYS\progpld.sig
PHTSYS\ramdisk
PHTSYS\ramdisk.sig
PHTSYS\rc.sh
PHTSYS\rc.sig
PHTSYS\RoyalLin.ux
PHTSYS\swgrli
PHTSYS\swgrli.sig
PHTSYS\system_sounds
PHTSYS\tts
PHTSYS\Welcome to PhatNoise.mp3
PHTSYS\WelcomeFileName.txt
PHTSYS\WelcomeFileText.txt
PHTSYS\Data\readme.txt
PHTSYS\images\pm
PHTSYS\images\pm\volkswagen_audi.jpg
PHTSYS\System Volume Information\_restore{449EAF7A-FCA0-4367-B4CD-15B6FD4945FB}
PHTSYS\System Volume Information\_restore{449EAF7A-FCA0-4367-B4CD-15B6FD4945FB}\RP733
PHTSYS\System Volume Information\_restore{449EAF7A-FCA0-4367-B4CD-15B6FD4945FB}\RP733\change.log.1
PHTSYS\System Volume Information\_restore{449EAF7A-FCA0-4367-B4CD-15B6FD4945FB}\RP733\RestorePointSize
PHTSYS\system_sounds\1khzmono.wav
PHTSYS\tts\0.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\1.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\2.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\3.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\4.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\5.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\6.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\7.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\8.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\9.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\a.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\album.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\artist.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\b.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\beep1.wav
PHTSYS\tts\beep2.wav
PHTSYS\tts\beep3.wav
PHTSYS\tts\beep4.wav
PHTSYS\tts\beep5.wav
PHTSYS\tts\br0.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\br1.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\br2.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\br3.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\c.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\Corrupt Disc.wav
PHTSYS\tts\cur0.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\cur1.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\cur2.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\cur3.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\d.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\dot.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\e.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\f.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\g.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\genre.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\h.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\i.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_about.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_Audi_I.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_Audi_II.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_extra_help_dis.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_extra_help_en.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_help.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_rand_all.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_rand_cur_list.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_VW_non_premium6.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\it_VW_premium6.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\j.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\k.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\l.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\m.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\n.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\o.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\p.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\playlist.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\q.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\r.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\s.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_Audi_I.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_Audi_II.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_extra_help_dis.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_extra_help_en.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_help.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_rand_all.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_rand_cur_list.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_VW_non_premium6.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\se_VW_premium6.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\t.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\u.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\v.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\w.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\x.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\y.alpha.mp3
PHTSYS\tts\z.alpha.mp3

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:52 am »
The issue isn't about files being missing, but certain files required for boot often need to be added to the disk in a sequential order to ensure the PhatBox reads them correctly.

The PhatHack DMS tools download contains an installer, and once run you will have an appropriate shortcut to launch the relevant EXE from your 'Start --> Programs' menu.  

There may be some problems with v2.13 of the tools that I released over the weekend (I will be looking at the issue over the next few days) so it may be prudent to download v2.12 (from the same link in my previous post).

NOTE: under Vista/Windows 7 you will need to run v2.12 of the DMS Tools 'As Administrator' or certain parts of the DMS creation process WILL fail! :P

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:44:44 am »
I don't know if I"m thick or what but when I run the dmsutilities.1.2.1.exe which I downloaded it just extracts to a folder of my selection after which I can find no installer. What is the installer's filename?

Here are a list of files which get extracted

C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\backupdms.bat
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\backupdms.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\cp.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\dd.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\diff.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\DISKPAR.EXE
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\DMSfilecopy.bat
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\DMSfilecopy.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\DMShack.bat
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\DMShack.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\gawk.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\grep.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\gunzip.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\gzip.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\hexdump.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\mkdir.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\mkdosfs.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\mv.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\newdms.bat
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\newdms.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\partid.dd
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\patchclean.bat
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\patchclean.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\rm.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\sh.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\tar.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\wc.exe
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\zero.dd
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\Music
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\Profiles
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\Music\flactemp.flac
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\aadec-hacked
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\aadec-hacked.sig
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\bootload.log
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\flacplay-hacked
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\flacplay-hacked.sig
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\linux-lba48-nolog
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\patch.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\patchcomplete.mp3
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\phatpatch
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\phatpatchver.txt
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\rc.sh
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\patched\rc.sig
C:\DMS TOOLS\dmsutils\phtsysfiles\Profiles\Profiles.ini

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:06:56 am »
You didn't read my second post fully/correctly - nor did you visit the link I pointed you to in it!
If you do that everything will become very very obvious!

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:26:22 am »
Sorry man I don't mean to be rude but I don't think I deserved a snarky response telling me to reread your previous post. I do not have the launcher that you're talking about and I was simply asking what this installer you're referring to is. I DID click the link you provided and DID download both the 2.13 and 2.12 software packages. I read through the post 5 times and I tried to read the documentation provided on that page but the link is dead. I even posted the files that were extracted from the zip file so you could see what I'm talking about regarding the lack of installer.

To restate my question again you say "The PhatHack DMS tools download contains an installer, and once run you will have an appropriate shortcut to launch the relevant EXE from your 'Start --> Programs' menu." There is NO INSTALLER and I have NO SHORTCUTS in my start menu other than the Phathack Media Manager.

Please all I'm asking for is a little help and I'm trying to be polite about it, I don't appreciate replies that contain no information.

http://phatnoise.us/.PNSecure/.Apps/DMSTools_v2_13.zip
http://phatnoise.us/.PNSecure/.Apps/DMSTools_v2_12.zip

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 03:42:01 am »
Sorry man I don't mean to be rude but I don't think I deserved a snarky response telling me to reread your previous post.

Please all I'm asking for is a little help and I'm trying to be polite about it, I don't appreciate replies that contain no information.

Moderator note: Let's all play nice here, Ok?

http://phatnoise.us/.PNSecure/.Apps/DMSTools_v2_13.zip
http://phatnoise.us/.PNSecure/.Apps/DMSTools_v2_12.zip

I just downloaded both of those (from these links) and both contain a setup.exe and a "Sandalone DMS Hack Wizard Setup.msi" file. It is certainly possible that the files were updated since you tried them (though the 2.13 is dated 2/5/2009 and the 2.12 6/2/2008). However, you may have some software installed that tries to do some magic with .msi files.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 07:42:08 am »
Sorry man I don't mean to be rude but I don't think I deserved a snarky response telling me to reread your previous post. I do not have the launcher that you're talking about and I was simply asking what this installer you're referring to is.

I'm sorry you took my reply to be snarky or unhelpful - it was not intended to be ....

By your own admission you downloaded 'dmsutilities.1.2.1.exe' which is not any version of the tools that I have ever produced, not any version in the links I have given you... nor have I ever distributed self-extracting EXEs - all versions I have released have contained full installers.

I have given you full - practically step-by-step instructions.... but since your post I have been made aware that the suspected issue with v2.13 is widespread and not a one-off, so please ensure you download version 2.12 from this direct link: http://phatnoise.us/.PNSecure/.Apps/DMSTools_v2_12.zip

In this light, the 'Boot Check' function will not be available, so we will have to do this manually.  Once you have tried the DMS after performing the 'Create New DMS' feature, if the Phatbox still won't boot then:

Create a new, blank file called 'bootload.log' in PHTSYS\
Start the car, headunit and select the PhatBox
Give the PhatBox at least 1 minute to boot

Return the DMS to your cradle, open up the file 'bootload.log' and post the contents back here, and we should be able to identify what's wrong.

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 08:39:49 pm »
Thanks Vortech, the direct links worked and now I have the setup.exe file. I'm honestly perplexed as to what was happening previously. I went back to the zip files I previously downloaded and for some reason now all of them have the files you said should be there. I'm wondering if 7zip did some funny things.

I really do appreciate the time you've taken to write this software and I was trying to avoid any "tone" in my previous response. This whole Phatnoise fiasco has had me more than a little frustrated and if some of that came through in my post to you I sincerely apologize.

I've just finished following your instructions (create new DMS etc) and added a playlist via PMM. I'm currently waiting for my brother to come over with his car so we can try this out, I'll post back with my results.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for biting the hand that feeds ;)

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:14:50 pm »
Ok so I tried the bootload.log part and nothing was written to the file. I left the DMS in the HU for over a minute and other than an initial burst of LED activity it just sat there with the red light closed to the edge on (the one closest to the Phatnoise logo). Any ideas? Is it possible that there is an issue with the HU?

One other thing to note is that I found the HU didn't always seem to initiate communication to the DMS every time it was plugged in, I had to re-seat it a few times to get the LEDS to turn on and have the HU spool up the DMS. After the initial burst of LED activity I can hear the HDD spool down.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 09:33:40 pm »
That sounds consistent with there being a power issue. 

The obvious things would be to check the cable between the head unit and the phatbox.

It could also be a seating issue with the DMS connector inside the Phatbox, or it has also been known for internal cables to become loose or the internal connector to be 'loosened' through the constant insertion/removal of the DMS.

If the cable between the HU and the box is okay, if you feel confident enough - open up the box and have a look inside.

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 08:23:31 pm »
That is kind of what I was figuring, unfortunately my schedule is completely opposite from my brother's (whose unit I'm trying to fix) so it'll have to wait until the weekend. As for being confident enough I'm actually an electronics technician so I'm not worried at all ;) I wanted to pull it out the other day but I was already running late when I tried the bootload.log part so I didn't get a chance.

I'll update this thread when I have more info to provide. Thanks again for the help/ideas

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:16:17 am »
check bootload.log first - make sure it completes booting...

Then, make sure you have the right firmware on the box for your car, and that you actually have playlists with songs in them... I see where you say you did that (playlists), but never hurts to double check.

if you still don't have anything working, try putting on debug rc.sh/.sig files to make sure that it's actually doing something.

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »
Doubled checked and yes I do have some music and a playlist on the DMS ;) I had my brother leave the unit in his car all week thinking that maybe after that period it would have for surely booted properly at least once in order to write the bootload.log file. Just checked it and still nothing has been written to that file.

Sbinger you mention putting debug rc.sh/sig files on the drive, could you elaborate as to exactly how to do that and where I would get the files from? Thanks for your help!

After my first attempt to fix this thing my brother misunderstood what I thought was wrong with the unit and ended up ordering another HU (Audi/VW model). Worst case we can try swapping that out to see if it changes anything, I think the HU is being flaky because when the DMS is plugged in it doesn't always seem to "start up". I asked my brother to take the HU out and check for any loose connections but he hasn't done that yet. I work nights and he works days so we only meet up at the parents house once a week so it makes troubleshooting slow, this Friday we didn't have any time.

I'll keep posting my results whenever we have a chance to work on it, it might just be a little while between posts.

Thanks again everybody.

Offline jphphotography

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:59 pm »
Ok well its working now, the problem was with the HU. After the first troubleshooting bout my brother had misunderstood what I thought it was and ended up ordering a new HU. After the bootload.log technique didn't work I suggested he try and pull the HU out and check the connection, he swapped the HU out instead and presto it is working.

If I determine the fault with the HU later I'll update this thread.

Thanks again for the help everyone, VorTechs I'm sure the DMS itself was pooched initially so without your instructions this wouldn't have worked.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 07:39:31 am »
I'm glad to see you are back up and running! :)