Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 6948 times)

Offline A4 CAB

Newbie help
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:14 pm »
Have just bought a phatbox from ebay which was listed as being hacked. I have never owned one before so don't really know the ins and outs of the phathack. I have just plugged the phatbox into my audi a4 cab and i'm just getting a flashing green light with a dull red light. I ran the dms doctor and this said there was a faulty with the dms but not sure where to go from here. Do I need to reformat the dms or is there so other utility I need to do this.

Thanks for any help

>:(

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Newbie help
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:45:42 am »
Did the Ebay listing specify which version of the box you bought and/or which version of the firmware was currently installed on the box?

It's possible it's not an Audi variant, so you should apply the Audi version of firmware. 

You can do this using my DMS tools, selecting the option 'Reflash box' and unchecking the option 'Install non-hacked firmware'.  Once the firmware update is applied by the tools, simply pop on a single playlist of music and go put the DMS in the car. 

It'll run through a routine of updating the firmware which can take upwards of 10-15 minutes (lots of flashing green)...but then hopefully things will kick back into life.  If not, and you use the latest version of the DMS tools I released over the weekend, then run 'Boot Check' process.

If it tells you you need to put the DMS back in the box, do that, fire it up and give it a couple of minutes (or until it noticably puts lights on and turns them off in an apparent sequence), and run the 'Boot Check' again which will give us an indication if the box is booting successfully or not.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline A4 CAB

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:22:31 pm »
Hi  Thanks for your help tried the new 2.13 but for some reason it wouldn't recognise my dms, so I installed 2.12 and this did. Have done what you said and like you said after waiting a long time the lights finally went out and it worked ;D. Still not sure what doing regarding using the phathack or media managers etc. Is there a guide that will teach me what to do from scratch.

Thanks again

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »
I'm a little concerned v2.13 didn't pick up your DMS, is this something that consistently happens? 

If you are willing to play around a little could you re-install 2.13, clean out your 'My Documents\PhatHack Media Manager\Logs' directory and run the tools again?

I have started some documentation on PhatMM, and that can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DJ_VorTechS/PhatHack_Media_Manager - which hopefully should give you enough to get started with if you want to use PhatHack Media Manager!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline A4 CAB

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 04:34:01 pm »
Hi  Ok tried this but still no good, keeps saying "No DMS"  here is the startup log hope it helps.

Starting Device Listing....
   Getting Device Snapshot....

Win32_Drive List
----------------

Error occured during drive snapshot:
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.Array'.
   at PhatDriveSnapshot.DriveSnapshot.TakeDriveSnapshot(String Logdir, String Logfile)
   Succeeded....enumerating devices....
No suitable devices returned by WMI!
Starting Device Listing....
   Getting Device Snapshot....

Win32_Drive List
----------------

Error occured during drive snapshot:
System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.Array'.
   at PhatDriveSnapshot.DriveSnapshot.TakeDriveSnapshot(String Logdir, String Logfile)
   Succeeded....enumerating devices....
No suitable devices returned by WMI!

Thanks