Author Topic: How do I tell if my PhatBox is hacked or my original DMS cartridge is corrupt  (Read 7537 times)

Offline IainJ

I have been trying to hack my Audi PhatNoise for some time and I think I have now corrupted the original DMS.

It still plays music but I am unable to run the hack tool. It may be that the original hack worked but the new DMS is not booting. I haved never heard the message telling me the PhatBox is hacked though !

Symptoms on original DMS after running hack program (v2.14 on Win 7)
I get a message corrupt track followed by the only music track playing repeatedly

I have enclosed the logfiles.
First one is prior to last attempted hack.
(previous attempts logfile)
Next one is log file on DMS after failed hack attempt.
(original dms after last hack logfile)

Symptoms on new DMS (40Gb)
Red Led on
Green LED sequence...single pulse...pause...two slow pulse....pause..two slow pulse....pause...rapid pulsing for about 5 mins then all lights out and then repeats.

No logfiles are created on the new DMS

Any help appreciated

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Are you running your original DMS in non-Playlist mode?  It is imperitive that you run in playlist mode, and switch to Playlist 1, Track 1.

You should hear a couple of announcements introducing the hack, and one telling you the hack is about to run, after which I would expect you to hear that the 'PhatBox is now unlocked'.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline IainJ

Thanks for the quick response.

How do you tell what mode it is running in as I am unsure?
What are the modes available you are refering to ?

Many Thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
It's dependent on model, but you can usually use some form of mechanism to switch between Playlist, Album, Artist and Genre modes.
For example on a Kenwood stereo, you press the 'Scan' button to switch to the next mode.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline IainJ

Ah see what you mean now - The car stereo is set to use the playlist.

I have just tried running the patch again and it failed. When the hack is applied to the DMS I am unable to specify play mode.

After the announcement message (hackintro.mpg) finishes immediately afterwards I hear the message "The PhatHack PhatBox and Kenwood Keg Patch" and "Your DMS is ready for use". It does not return to the playlist I had originally applied to the clean DMS.

The hack tool in step 7 tells me there was a failure and to post the contents of the logfile. Patch was not applied or failed to start, there is no patchverify.log. Windows tells me the logfile is corrupt when I try to copy it off ready to post.

Is there any other things that I can check to see what is going wrong.

Many Thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
It's possible the box is already hacked, unfortunately I've not got round to updating the DMS with the latest version of the patch that does tell us if this is already the case via a similar prompt.

So, let's concentrate on the new DMS for now.  The drive you are using for the new DMS... is it a clean drive, or did it have an Operating System on before?

Using the DMS tools, with the new drive in the cradle, click on 'Boot Check'... if it asks you if you want to to put the bootload file on to the disk, reply yes and then try and boot the new DMS in the car.  Bring the DMS back, and click on the Boot Check again.

If it doesn't, or after attempting to boot the new DMS in the car, paste the resulting message back here.

Offline IainJ

This was a hard drive from my laptop after I upgraded it so it did have an operating system on it. I used the Windows in built disk management to remove the partitions on the drive before starting.

So I wiped the new DMS to start again. Used the DMS tools v1.4 to recreate the DMS partitions etc and then used PhatHack Media Manager to add some music.

I reset the PhatBox (removed cable for 30 seconds) and placed the new DMS into the unit.
The PhatBox lights sequence as before.

Red Led on
Green LED sequence...single pulse...pause...two slow pulse....pause..two slow pulse....pause...rapid pulsing for about 5 mins then all lights out and then repeats.

I gave up this time after the second sequence. I Brought the DMS back to the PC and run the DMS tools.
Boot Check fails telling me the bootload.log does not seem to be valid. There are no other logs in this folder to check.

Any suggestions ?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
It sounds like exactly the same problem I am currently looking at for someone else....so at the moment, no, all ideas I've tried haven't worked yet.

Offline IainJ

Jut thought I would check up if you had managed to resolve this issue with the other member. If there is anything I can help with then please let me know.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Not yet, I've got to a blocking point, and am mega-busy just at the moment... but hope to get back to it next week.