Author Topic: Help a hopeless nOOb?  (Read 6814 times)

Offline vwdevotee

Help a hopeless nOOb?
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:32:54 am »
Ok, so I got my new phatbox installed today (yeah for ebay!) and it played the random preloaded Jimmy Eat World just fine.  I then tried to run the nack tool but it didn't seem to work. After about an hour both the green and red lights were still on.  So I tried reformatting the DMS and that worked swell.  I was able to get the unhacked firmware to reflash the box just fine.  So I tried hacking it again.  I got one track that looped for 15 minutes, and when I turned off the car and moved the DMS back to its cradle, now it won't load.  When I seat the DMS the green dock light comes on for about a second and then goes out.  In My Computer (Windows XP) I don't get PHTSYS or PHTDTA appearing as drives either.  So did I nuke my system?  Needless to say, I'm slightly unhappy about how tonight is going.  Thanks for any help you all can give me!

Offline vwdevotee

Re: Help a hopeless nOOb?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 05:46:25 am »
If it makes a difference, after the green dock light goes out I can feel the drive still spinning inside the DMS.  Thanks again!

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:07:22 am »
Exactly how did you reformat your DMS?

Did you modify or delete the partitions, or just reformat the existing partitions, and if so with what?

Les.

Offline vwdevotee

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:01:19 am »
I'd used the Phat Hack Tools, whichever the newest one is, and clicked 'Create New DMS'.  That went through and reformatted both partitions.  It's working now though, so I think it may actually be a finisky cradle.  Like it wasn't making fun contact or something.  My next nube question, how do I trade out songs once I get my DMS filled?  There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to remove them from teh DMS.  I'm using PMM v.1.87 since I haven't found were to download v.3.92 yet.  Especially with AAC support.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:37:32 am »
As far as I can remember, with 1.87, remove the files from the playlists, or remove the playlists and simply re-sync.  It should be the same as Phatnoise Media Manager in that respect.  

3.92 with AAC is around - but the site seems to be down at the moment.  (was at www.phatnoise.org - downloads available once registered)

Edit: Wrong URL.  Should be http://phatnoise.us - thanks Stu.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:22:13 pm by S80_UK »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:13 am »
It's now http://phatnoise.us - I let the .org registration expire a long time ago
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:20:39 pm »
It's now http://phatnoise.us - I let the .org registration expire a long time ago
Oops!   :-[

Sorry about that.  Shows how infrequently I visit...

Les.