Author Topic: Need help with DMS not recognized in Win7  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Moridan

Need help with DMS not recognized in Win7
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:41:57 am »
I have a KHD-USB1 with the Kenwood C710 system.  I havent had to reload or change my music in years (hey, I'm old and like the same music).  But now, the only OS I have is Win7 and I am trying to get my PMM to work. 

Problem is, it wont recognize the DMS.  At all.  Under Device Manager, under Other Devices, I see a USB Storage Adapter that is not set up properly.  I know this is for the DMS cradle.  It says that the driver isnt installed properly for it.  I went to the Phatnoise site and downloaded the proper drivers... but when I launch the driver, it just flashes on the screen for a second then nothing else.  I did what the instructions said, to do this when the DMS wasnt plugged in, restart the PC, then plug it in... still no joy.  I even got another DMS to plug into the cradle, with the same result.

I have been reading forums and blogs and all sorts of crap, but nothing helps.  Does anyone have any idea why this wont work?  Thanks in advance!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Need help with DMS not recognized in Win7
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:06:18 am »
It's because there are no drivers for the cradle that are compatible under Windows 7.

Your best bet for guaranteed results though, is to buy an external 2.5" drive caddy, which is compatible with both the DMS tools (to repair your system - PhatNoise Media/Music Manager is no longer able to apply the firmware) and your chosen media management software.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Moridan

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:18:11 am »
I could have sworn that I read about people using this with Win7, that's what has been driving me crazy. 

But Ok, do you have any recommendations for a drive caddy?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:08 am »
USB 2.0 cradles are hit and miss in Windows 7, I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone claim to have a USB 1.1 cradle working, but I may be mistaken on that.

I have a generic USB 2.0 caddy, which is this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-IDE-USB-HARD-DRIVE-CADDY-HDD-CASE-ENCLOSURE-/280423530758?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item414a8b8106 and it works perfectly.

I am UK based though, so if it's not appropriate for you - you'll need to just shop around carefully.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:11 am »
I could have sworn that I read about people using this with Win7, that's what has been driving me crazy. 

But Ok, do you have any recommendations for a drive caddy?

The USB 2.0 cradle in Windows 7 may or may not work, depending on the particular drive model and the speed of the Windows 7 system (there are timing problems in the cradle firmware). Older cradles won't work in 7 as they needed aftermarket drivers that don't exist in the Vista/7 driver framework.

Do you have any reason to run XP Mode (Virtual PC) in Windows 7? It might be worthwhile seeing if the cradle will be recognized when passed through from 7 to XP. But I wouldn't go and install XP mode if you weren't going to use it for anything else.

Offline gq331

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 01:30:08 am »
My DMS cradle usb 2.0 worked on my windows 7 32bit.  

Steps I took after I installed phmm beta:

1. Power to cradle
2. Cradle to USB hub (own power adapter)
3.  Cartridge in.

It recognized it right away.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:03:19 am by gq331 »

Offline moedope

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:53:12 pm »
I have a KHD-USB1 with the Kenwood C710 system.  I havent had to reload or change my music in years (hey, I'm old and like the same music).  But now, the only OS I have is Win7 and I am trying to get my PMM to work. 

Problem is, it wont recognize the DMS.  At all.  Under Device Manager, under Other Devices, I see a USB Storage Adapter that is not set up properly.  I know this is for the DMS cradle.  It says that the driver isnt installed properly for it.  I went to the Phatnoise site and downloaded the proper drivers... but when I launch the driver, it just flashes on the screen for a second then nothing else.  I did what the instructions said, to do this when the DMS wasnt plugged in, restart the PC, then plug it in... still no joy.  I even got another DMS to plug into the cradle, with the same result.

I have been reading forums and blogs and all sorts of crap, but nothing helps.  Does anyone have any idea why this wont work?  Thanks in advance!
Check my post to see if it helps on youre install
http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,4627.0.html