Author Topic: Eclipse cd8053  (Read 6361 times)

Offline gunn234

Eclipse cd8053
« on: September 03, 2005, 04:36:55 am »
I'm so glad I have found this site!!!

I was originally thinking of using the kenwood FM modulator but instead, it would be worth while to find a way to integrate instead.

I was wondering how I should go about finding the pin-out structure on the Eclipse cd8053.  I know that there are some factory cars that use fujitsu ten head units and they sell pinout converters for the ELAN protocal to where they can be used with eclipse changers.

I would appreciate if someone could give me some insight on how to start this project.

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Eclipse cd8053
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 03:17:41 pm »
The biggest issue you'll run into is once you have a cable made, does the protocol for the eclipse changer bus match any other manufacturers currently supported protocols or not.  

If the answer is no, this project would be a waste of time due to the phatbox's microcontroler (the 8052) software (the flash updates you get from phatnoise only update this little controler and the files on the harddrive) being specific for each type of head unit.  

They emulate the CD changer commands and responses using the 8052 so if kenwood uses another set of commands or a changed structure etc you couldnt use the kenwood firmware for instance.  Rinse and repeat for other firmwares..

I would say its highly unlikley that we'll be able to add clarion or eclipse support to the list without significant additional effort.

Offline gunn234

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 06:09:56 pm »
I've looked around a bit and they do sell some cable converters that let factory Toyota headunits talk to aftermarket Eclipse changers using the E-Lan protocol.

http://www.pie.net/index-2-details.cfm?recordID=TOY/98-ECL

It also looks like phatnoise does makes a version that talks to the bus of these Toyota models for the same specfic year range.

Am I using the right logic that this still could be done or is there another aspect that I am overlooking???

Thanks again!!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:16:27 pm by gunn234 »

Offline gunn234

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
BTW, I really don't care about CD text, just want to use it like it is a massive CD changer.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 07:57:51 pm »
The problem is the conversion is going the wrong way.. you need toyota cd changer to eclipse setup, no the otherway around.  You could perhaps find a way to reverse the connection and flow of data / audio by disassembeling the unit but I wouldn't bet on it.