Author Topic: PhatMark v.9  (Read 7310 times)

Offline catware

• PhatMark author
PhatMark v.9
« on: October 03, 2005, 05:15:46 pm »
Sorry about this! Version .9 was actually completed about 10 days after the first version was released last December, but I never posted the link. Anyway, even though it's not quite complete and hasn't been worked on since Dec, it's vastly superior.

Here is the link:

http://www.bfndevelopment.com/cgi-bin/home/Members/DLTrack/DLTrack.cgi?User=11268&ID=2173&Code=QYUZY2

I guess since I never received e-mails from anyone asking if there was an update I forgot/didn't bother to say there was one.

Anyone know when/why the Phatnoise forums where taken down?

Is there another place in addition to this forum where it would be helpful for me to post this link?

Enjoy!

~michelle

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: PhatMark v.9
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 05:23:12 pm »
Could you tell me what it is phatmark does?  I don't recall reading abut it on the old forums.  Does this belong in the PMM section by chance?

Offline catware

• PhatMark author
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 08:21:55 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't thinking earlier. Not only did I not include a readme file, but I uploaded the wrong version of PhatMark! It's been corrected; please redownload if you did so before this post.

Note: The "Generated Speech for Labels" group in the 'Options' dialog is currently nonfunctional. This feature will generate a speech string you can listen to when you drive to remember how many times to mark a song for different reasons. I.e., mark twice to change ID3 tag, mark 4 times to fix volume, mark 6 times to delete a song (when you get back to the computer). Right now you'll just have remember how many marks for each reason, or not worry about different reasons -- just have a song 'marked' or not.

Everything else should work okay though.

From the readme:
PhatMark was written out of necessity to mark audio files on the PhatBox/Music Keg while driving that need attention back at the computer. You can use it to mark files that you want to delete, files that need to be reencoded or have the volume level changed, files you really enjoyed and want to add to your favorite playlist, etc.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 08:41:00 pm by catware »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 09:45:03 pm »
You did not include the required rc.sh that has whatever version of logging enabled you need.

From reading the readme file, it would be quite useful if we could instead of having the log file in verbose mode, have phatd mark files in a log if you hit play pause x number of times...

I wonder how hard that would be to work out...

Offline catware

• PhatMark author
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 11:00:14 pm »
>You did not include the required rc.sh that has whatever version of logging enabled you need.

?? The rc.sh and rc.sig are embedded in PhatMark. PhatMark backs up the originals and copies the new files over to PHTSYS. It also can restore the files, and has the standard (non-logging) rc files embedded if for some reason the backups are lost. Is that not working?

>From reading the readme file, it would be quite useful if we could instead of having the log file in verbose mode, have phatd mark files in a log if you hit play pause x number of times...

Hmmm, at the time this program was written (last Dec) no one knew how to modify phatd due to the signatures files. I haven't kept up whatsoever with work on hacking the PhatBox since that time. If it's now possible to get around the .sig files you're right; that would be a better solution than the logfile filling up the partition after 2000 hours of use...

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 02:16:08 am »
The simplest solution would be a background process watching the logfile... it could even delete them on the fly except that the database would need to be updated, and the process could flush the logfiles whenever it starts...

Not only can we get around the problem of running software, we can replace the DMS and any files on the drive we wish to
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:17:22 am by sbingner »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 04:12:41 am »
well most people now have a 63 meg phtsys that has the firmware and whatnot on it, so I'd guess they have 40 ish megs of space for logs..

Sorry about the not knowing that the rc.sh and sig were embedded.  Does it back up the existing ones?  Now we can edit our own rc files and run code.  

if we decided to do it, i think we could put together a background job / daemon to run and do the log file work we need.. perhaps even change the shut down process on the phatbox to gzip the log each time and putting them in a directory to hold the old logs..?  keep ten gzip files around.. before it gzips them just parse the logs for file markings for your program to use and make a new file with just that info appended to it...

Sam, I still need to get with you to figure out that issue I am having with the plugin install on my keg...

Offline catware

• PhatMark author
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 01:51:23 pm »
Wow, obviously things have come a long way since the year started  ;D I don't know anything about Linux programming.

PhatMark simply parses the logfile looking for repeated pressings of the AudioID button or pause/play cycles before a song resumes play. It then counts these allowing different # of button presses (Marks) for various reasons. It has a nice front end to manage the resulting info, and saves only the marked files with a special marker back to the log file.

If a program could parse the logfile on the fly or at least at shutdown/startup, then we'd never have to worry about filling the partition (it's not a huge concern right now, with debug level 1 it grows at roughly 100KB/hr of use. 40MB free gives ~400hrs before partion fill). Then we could just have a nice front end to manage the data from the PHTSYS.

Yes, using PhatMark's 'install DMS files' feature, it renames the two rc files to 'rc {original}' and copies over the rc files with debug level 1. When restoring, it looks for the 'rc {original}' files and uses those, or if they don't exist it also has its own copy of the rc files with debug off (basically the original rc files on my PhatBox).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:03:18 pm by catware »

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 10:47:47 pm »
Here is the link:

http://www.bfndevelopment.com/cgi-bin/home/Members/DLTrack/DLTrack.cgi?User=11268&ID=2173&Code=QYUZY2

This link gives an "internal server error" at the moment. If you like, I can host the software on my site as well - drop me an email.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 11:00:10 pm »
Or, if you contact me I can set you up with access to a directory on downloads.phathack.com :)

Sam

Offline catware

• PhatMark author
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 01:29:36 am »
Sorry, I check this board very rarely. There has never been a problem with hosting the file on my ISP's server. However, the link to bfndevelopment is a redirect to count downloads and may not always function correctly. I just checked it now and it is working.

If anyone has any problems or wants to contact me, do so with domain "garlic.com" preceeded by "arete@" Best of luck! The VB.net (2002 I think) source is also available to anyone who requests it.

Offline Netwalker

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 02:38:33 pm »
I always get this messages: "Error reading file..."
What is the problem with the logfile?