Author Topic: Accidently repartitioned phtsys on dms  (Read 6699 times)

Offline BlazinTrini

Accidently repartitioned phtsys on dms
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:00:54 pm »
I was doing a format of my computer and forgot I had the dms in the cradle, so I had gone to recreate partitions I removed the partitions on the dms. Is there a way of repairing this without sending back to phatnoise?

Offline A543

• Veteran.
Re: Accidently repartitioned phtsys on dms
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 06:12:11 pm »
If you've only removed the partitions without yet creating new ones you are probably ok. Use the PhatHack CD or boot floppy to repartition your DMS.
DO NOT use any other partitioning tool.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 04:41:30 am »
Did you do the hack on another drive already by chance?

Offline BlazinTrini

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 12:33:31 pm »
no I only have the one drive, and was just doing a format of my pc and repartitioning of the pc drives and forgot I had the dms in the cradle. just trying to find out if there is a way to fix it without having to send it back to phatnoise
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:36:53 pm by BlazinTrini »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 01:09:30 pm »
If you recreated a partition on that device (not just deleted it) you will have to send it back to phatnoise.

you can try using the phatnoise repair CD but if the drive got a new parition on it it will have overwritten data you have to send it back to phatnoise to repair.

Good luck.

Offline ryanmc

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 01:29:50 am »
ive used disk commander in similiar situation not with a dms but other harddrivies and have been able to recover 100% there are other hd utilities too.

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 01:56:20 am »
I understand that ryanmc was trying to help, but in this situation don't use any tools on your DMS other than the Phatnoise repair CD or the PhatHack CD or boot floppy.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 02:18:27 am »
To be more specific, there is an area on the DMS that is before the first parition starts that phatnoise "hides" the DMS signature that is required for it to start the phatbox / keg.

If you reparition the drive with ANY TOOL other than the phatnoise DMS disc or our hack disc you will not leave that 1 meg gap and end up nuking your DMS signature.  We have a way to bypass the signature to a certian degree but its only after you've hacked a phatbox with a working DMS and you have another signature you can write to a drive.

Offline BlazinTrini

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 12:57:20 am »
Well the dealership is getting me a new dms since it is under warranty...hopefully they somehow forget and not request the hold one back and then I might be able to try that

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 03:24:49 am »
You'll have to have the box hacked to use a DMS that has been damaged and cloned from another one.

The DMS signature is specific to the drives serial number printed on the label from the factory and stored on the drive.

Offline BlazinTrini

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 12:44:02 am »
well the dealer never asked back for the old drive so since I have the old one still I can fix it with the new drive?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 01:17:32 am »
well the dealer never asked back for the old drive so since I have the old one still I can fix it with the new drive?

No.  You need to use the DMS Repair CD like judb said, there is no other way unless you want it to be the same as a hacked DMS