Author Topic: VW/Audi DMS. Success inside 1.5 hours  (Read 8006 times)

Offline scotty

VW/Audi DMS. Success inside 1.5 hours
« on: October 29, 2005, 09:01:46 pm »
Many thanks for the people that put this all together.

I bought a Fujitsu 80GB (MHT2080AH) from www.lowestonweb.com for £60.59 ex VAT (£71.19)and I was really please to find that when I opened up my DMS, there was a virtually indentical Fujitsu disk in it. This meant the swap was as easy as could be.

I did the CD Image upgrade and everything worked as it should...until I put the new 80Gb DMS into the hacked Phatbox and it said "No Magazine" on my Audi headunit.

I then followed the instructions HERE and it solved the problem. (Thanks Genesis!)

I went very slow and carefully through the process and it was all complete inside 1.5 hours. I could have done it a lot quicker but I reckoned slow and methodical was the best approach.

Oh I forgot to mention - I bought a VW Phatbox to go into my Audi as it was cheaper and I already had the cable as I had a OEM 6CD player already in there.
I removed the case so it fitted in the OEM 6CD position in the glovebox.

Many thanks again. I now have a 80Gb Phatbox for a grand total of £240. I'll certainly be making a contribution to this site.  :)

Offline broadband00

Re: VW/Audi DMS. Success inside 1.5 hours
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 09:32:17 pm »
Congrats Scotty

I also happened to upgrade my Audi Phatbox DMS today and wanted to add my thanks to those who have contributed.

My upgrade took a little longer because the boot loader patch didn't complete. The symptom I would see was the dreaded NO CD even for my original good DMS. Checking the bootloader.log I saw that the BOOT*-X phase failed for even the good DMS. Finally I realized that I should check the patchverify.log file on the patch DMS where I saw that not all patches had applied, specifically the one for RAMDISK.

Having read some of the forum entries I tried corrupting the RAMDISK.SIG to force the remaining patches and finally the Phatbox was patched.

After the patch the original DMS worked but the hacked DMS still did not boot. I then went through the same process as Scotty to recreate my hacked DMS manually. Ater this the new DMS worked,

Offline spunnoose

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 07:44:49 pm »
Thanks for all the support

I managed to convert an Audi phatbox to KEG, used a custom made cable to hook to a nice Kenwood unit and then installed the VIOT plugin

Now has all functions I had with the AUDI headunit plus album/artist/track names coming up on the Kenwood unit (miles better than the Audi concert)

By the by, hacked a second hand 100GB hard drive from ebay

All in all a very happy man now after many sleepless nights :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 07:46:24 pm by spunnoose »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 06:35:27 pm »
The only thing I've been able to find that could make a hacked dms disk not work, is if the partitions aren't set up the same as a normal DMS.  It should have one primary partition, an extended partition as the second partition and a logical partition as the rest of the drive, if it's not like that it won't work....

Offline jmagg10

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:24:17 pm »
I managed to convert an Audi phatbox to KEG, used a custom made cable to hook to a nice Kenwood unit and then installed the VIOT plugin
I want to do the exact same thing.  Any links to pictures, directions, Kenwood DIN connector purchase, etc?  :)

Offline spunnoose

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 01:39:47 pm »
The pin put diagrams for the phatbox and Keg are on the Wilki  site. I cut one  end of a Kenwood cd changer cable and attached all the wires to the ones in the Audi phatbox cable. I had to do some soldering inside the box as well. It is doable but not recommended unless you are very good at soldering.
The best way is to get a KEG cable from Kenwood dealer (will cost you £55 in UK) and a Kenwood cd changer cable 9About £ 25)

If you are interested still ,I will send you the pictures  ;D

Offline jmagg10

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 07:11:50 pm »
Well, since everyone seems to be backordered on the cables at the moment, I think I'd like to give it a shot.  I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so it should be doable.  I already have an Audi cable, and an actual Kenwood Music Keg.  Unfortunately, my Music Keg cable is broken, so I'm just trying to get back up and running with my spare Audi cable.  I just ordered the Kenwood 13-pin connector from DigiKey.  Anyone have pinouts for the Audi cable?  And spunnoose, if you have pictures, I would love to see them, to help prepare myself for when the connector comes in.  ;)

Offline spunnoose

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 08:10:47 pm »
Here are the websites with the pinout details

http://www.bingner.com/phatnoise/pinouts.html

http://audi.805net.com/phatbox/audi_phatbox_pinout.gif

These are accurate. You will find that the keg cable has 4 extra wires compared to AUDi phatbox cable and these need to be soldered onto the circuit board inside and mind you the pins are very close together. I made a hole on the back plate of the AUDI box and did it. It was a gamble but paid of. I am certain I lost my warranty.  Do I care?? NO

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 08:21:34 pm by spunnoose »

Offline jmagg10

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 12:31:47 am »
So the extra wires need to be soldered onto the circuit board inside the Phatbox/Music Keg?  I wonder if I will have to do this, since I own an actual Kenwood Music Keg, instead of the Audi Phatbox.
Thanks for all the help so far!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 12:32:27 am by jmagg10 »

Offline spunnoose

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 07:34:51 am »
I am afraid so. This is because audi cable has got fewer wires than what KEG needs. You could get a 26 pin mini D sub connector from MOUSER(details are on the http://www.bingner.com/phatnoise/pinouts.html ) and solder it to the wires from a cut kenwood cd changer cable

If you do this, you dont have to open the KEG at all

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 07:36:24 am by spunnoose »

Offline somed00d

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 05:03:31 am »
I am also wanting to convert a hacked Audi Phatbox into a Music Keg to plug into a new un-purchased Kenwood head unit.  Can I just purchase the cable and flash firmware and it's good to go?  Or will soldering be involved?  Thanks!!!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 07:50:06 am »
Cable and firmware upgrade and you'll be good