Author Topic: Unresponsive DMS in Windows  (Read 4205 times)

Offline SAT

Unresponsive DMS in Windows
« on: November 03, 2005, 07:20:36 pm »
I have what I believe is a corrupted (and not physically damaged) Kenwood 10 gigabyte DMS cartridge (KHD-010G rev -) that will no longer show the PHTSYS and PHTDTA partitions on my Windows XP OS, although the cartridge still shows up as a drive in the “safely remove hardware” window after it has been plugged into its USB cradle.

Attempts to repair it with the Windows XP Check Disk, Defragment, and Reformat utilities failed, as did my repair attempt with Phatnoise’s Linux boot disk repair utility (version 1.3). And as with the Windows XP OS, the Linux boot disk would recognize the DMS cartridge when I plugged it into the USB cradle (hub.c: new Usb device 00: 1d.0-1, assigned address 2), but could not execute functions (i.e., any of the “advanced menu” options) beyond that.

I do have another, properly functioning, Kenwood 10 GB DMS cartridge that I can copy the pertinent files from for the Phathack procedure, but I’m wondering whether to bother if my corrupted DMS cartridge will not even respond properly with the Linux utility.

Do the symptoms I’m describing sound like they could be overcome with the Phathack signature patch and boot disk utilities, or might I be better off to simply pick up another inexpensive 10GB hard drive that is functioning properly (i.e., one that will at least show up in the "My Computer" drive window so that I can reformat it) and perform the Phathack on it?

Thanks for your attention

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Unresponsive DMS in Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 07:35:16 pm »
Could be a bad drive... hard to say for sure.

if another dms works fine in that cradle and the DMS repair disc didn't help I'd say the drive is likely bad.