Author Topic: Hack CD and VW boxes  (Read 12931 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Hack CD and VW boxes
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 02:30:35 pm »
email sent

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 09:39:10 pm »
I've upgraded a VW box w/o problems, but I was using the kenwood firmware when I did it...    I don't have a VW to be able to boot it using the VW firmware.

Offline feakesj

• PhatHacker
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 11:52:57 pm »
I have a 20 GB VW/Audi Phatbox that I'm using in my Audi A6.  I was about to try the upgrade (to a 100GB Segate Momentus 5400.2) when I noticed this thread.  Are the VW/Audi Phatbox issues resolved?  If so, where can I download the image?

BTW how do I create the bootable disk?  I don't have access to Linux.

Jonathan

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 01:04:45 am »
Hi,

You can download the hack CD image from here....

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1122424315

The file is an ISO image which you can use to create a CD using Nero or similar CD writing program.  Note that the CD that you create does not appear to have any files on it when you look at it with Windows Explorer - this is normal.  On the CD is a small Linux kernel and the necessary tools to apply the hack to the DMS cartridge for your Phatbox.

Your PC needs to be able to boot from CD - change BIOS settings if needed to enable this.  Then pop in the CD and restart your PC - follow the instructions at the above link very carefully.

Although the CD has a Linux kernel on it, you do not need to know Linux at all to be able to use it.  Also, it does not do anything to your PC, so that can stay as it is with Windows, etc.

It worked for me (I have a VW box too, but with Volvo firmware installed).  A few VW box owners have had problems, but I am not aware that anyone has rendered their box unusable in any way.  It is just that for some the hack has not always been as straightforward as the instructions suggest.  In most cases there is help on this form should things not turn out right.

Good luck!

Les.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:09:23 am by S80_UK »

Offline feakesj

• PhatHacker
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006, 12:38:43 am »
I've tried to upgrade the DMS, but now I get 'NO CD' message on the headset, even though the DMS is shown as having 40GB of content and >140 Audio Play Lists when I look at it using Media Manager.  

The DMS has been checked with DMS Doctor and the firmware has been reapplied.   Any suggestions?

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006, 01:24:07 am »
Sounds like the signature wasn't copied correctly.

Offline feakesj

• PhatHacker
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006, 01:21:30 pm »
Which signature?  How do I fix it?

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006, 05:41:04 pm »
Most people (including me) used the method outlined by Genesis to resolve their VW issues.

I had a similar sounding problem to you.

Copy of Genesis method on this link

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1123119033
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:47:28 pm by timps »

Offline feakesj

• PhatHacker
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006, 07:31:38 pm »
Thanks for the info -- I found the genesis method on the forum myself and it fixed the problem.  It would be useful if it was placed in a FAQ or the notes for the hack CD were amended to include the Genesis method.