Author Topic: Phatnoise system for a Volvo  (Read 5935 times)

Offline duderiffic

• PhatHacker
Phatnoise system for a Volvo
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:24:42 pm »
Hello,

Great forum, I owned a Kenwood Music Keg (KHD-CX910?) a few months after it was released around 2002, my stereo was completely stolen a year later and I've been without a DMS for around 2 years.  I absolutely loved owning one.  Now I own a 2002 V70 and I just received word that a PhatNoise DMS system is available for my Volvo, at a price of $1,000... I was shocked by the price, does anyone know if you can use any keg and just change firm/software or do I have to shell out the ton of money to get the OEM Volvo branded piece?  I poked around on the forum and didn't see more than 3 or 4 Volvo threads... :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks guys!
Jeff
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 10:25:16 pm by duderiffic »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Phatnoise system for a Volvo
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 02:05:43 am »
All the info I have is on my pinouts page at http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html -- you might be able to make your own cable to connect it.... but you'd still need to get your hands on a DMS cartridge to hack your box/put a new drive in

Offline duderiffic

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 06:53:55 pm »
Errr... I'm sorry I wasn't very clear after re-reading that.  Someone stole the whole system not just the cartridge.  I was trying to illustrate that I used to own one and loved it, but someone loved it more than I did (my whole car for that matter)

I would be buying a brand new system, I guess my quesiton is with one of the cheap Audi or VW systems, can I make it work with the Volvo headunit?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:26:47 pm »
Hello duderiffic,

Well - I have done exactly what you are trying to do.  I have a VW box in my Volvo S80 working from the HU-850 head unit - now running for the past two weeks.  BUT - I have not quite finished.  Everything works, but I am debugging the wiring to get rid of some interference from the alternator.  This is related to the grounding and highlights the fact that the VW and Volvo boxes though similar are not exactly the same.  However I think this will be possible to fix.

I am posting progress reports on the Swedespeed forums at the moment.  I hope to have this all finished in a few more days.  When done, I will also post some kind of description on this site if I can.

Regards,

Les.

Offline duderiffic

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 12:50:35 am »
S80, sounds interesting... I been to SwedeSpeed a few times I guess maybe it is time to register. ;)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 01:07:02 am »
Which head unit do you have in your V70?  For a 2002 model I think it is likely to be the HU-801 or HU-803.  As far as I know they sharethe same CD/Navigation interface as the HU-850 that I have.

Les.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 08:29:31 am »
I have now got the Wiki page set up with all the info.  Thanks to sbingner for assistance.

http://wiki.phathack.com/VW_Phatbox_to_Volvo_Transplant_%28How_To%29

BTW - creating this page was actually very easy.  I would encourage others that have good information to do the same.

Cheers,

Les.