Author Topic: Help please - Patching Music Keg not working  (Read 19834 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Help please - Patching Music Keg not working
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:02 pm »
um, logfiles would be helpful.. post your bootload.log and the patch log too.

Offline cbrpunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 01:40:04 pm »
cant use my dms after the patch, the original DMS looks okay when i run a chkdsk and such, however my headunit shows up as CD-chang, does anyone have a backup of the original dms they can get to me? gho. .iso .zip or whatever format? i cant even get it to revert now after a full format of the original dms using the repair cd.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »
dude, post a bootload.log or we wont be able to help you identify what the problem is.  you should be able to find how to do that real easy around here.  or at least tell us what the lights on the box do.  otherwise I'll just tell you, buy / borrow a working DMS and hack your box to make any drive work.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 07:41:37 pm »
Immediately after hacking a Kenwood Keg (certainly CX-910), I've found that Kenwood Head Units won't recognise the Keg as it is meant to, but as a CD Changer.

This is easy to fix.

1. Turn the Head Unit OFF
2. Disconnect your Keg from the Head Unit by disconnecting the cable from the back of the Keg.  Leave disconnected for about a minute.
3. Reconnect the Keg, leave for about a minute.
4. Turn on the Head Unit, switch SRC to the Keg.

I've hacked my box about 5 times now, and the result above has always been the same.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:02:52 pm by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 01:21:44 pm »
I haven't had that problem but it may depend on what head unit you have.. my XXV-01d seems to work with no disconnecting of the keg but I can see how resetting the link may be of use.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2007, 02:15:59 pm »
Perhaps we should get a list of Head Units together that are known to display this problem?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline cbrpunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2007, 01:22:54 pm »
Nuked the original DMS using the repair dms utility, will try this disconnect trick and hopefully it will work...

i have both a 710 and a 910 i believe...

the 910 is in the basement, 710 in the car (smaller footprint)

Offline cbrpunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 01:58:13 pm »
i tried the disconnect/reconnect trick with the keg, however it is just showing up as cd-cnag still, im running a kenwood 915-dvd headunit.

im going to try the other keg unit i have later tonight to see if i have any luck, but i think i screwed the pooch on my original dms.

does the repair utility bring the cartridge back to an oem state after a format/wipe? I went and recreated it and tried it, it didnt work, so i hooked it up and dropped the latest firmware on it, it still isnt working..

the red light is solid, and the green light is going nuts, ive had it on for hours as well.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 05:50:39 pm »
It isn't at all clear what you have done and in what order.

Firstly, Kenwood head units often need to be reset when first connected to the Phatbox/Keg.  Have you tried resetting?

If you tried to apply the patch and it did not execute all the way, and then you tried to put the Kenwood firmware on the DMS and put it in your box, it is stuck in a patch-firmware update loop.  That is why your box is flashing and not stopping.  You have to finish applying the patch.  (I think I had all these problems and it should be covered earlier in this post.)

Not sure what all you have done to the DMS, but unless you have repartitioned the drive, it should still be good for patching your box.  Prepare it by running the hack/repair CD again, repair it first if you have to.  Before putting it back in the car, boot into Windows and look for the file on the phtsys partition of the DMS called ramdisk.sig.  Rename that file ramdisk.bak.  Then copy any other file (such as phatd.sig) to your desktop, rename it ramdisk.sig and copy it back to the phtsys.  Check if the file "forceupdate" is on the phtsys and if it is, delete it.  Pop the DMS back into your car and with luck the patch will complete.  If it works your box will work with any drive.  If you intend to use the original DMS, run patchclean.bat from the Windows DMS utilities.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline cbrpunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2007, 07:51:38 pm »
How would one reset the headunit? i have disconnected the battery to the car just to make sure all power was off.

steps that i have taken.

1. downloaded the iso for the cd-repair/hack
2. burned iso off
3. booted up, applied hack
4. waited close to 40 minutes with the stereo on, no hack complete audio.
5. removed disk, restarted system (pulled power lead from battery)
6. Screen showing cd-chang instead of ext-hdd
7. took drive inside, re applied standard firmware, went to car, after an hour no change
8. removed interface cable to phatnoise, powered car on.
9. used dms hack/repair cd to totally reformat and repartition oem phatnoise disk.
10 inserted disk and still having ch-chang and solid red light with green light blinking quickly.
11. hooked the drive up inside again and sent down the firmware for the kenwood unit, no dice, still dead in the water. drive passes all chkdsk and disk utilities.

no bootlog is available as it has been wiped. the system has totally been rebooted.

I have my oem cartridge and my 120gb one, however i have been using my oem disk for the hack *of course*

what am i doing wrong?
do i need to borrow another oem disk to fix this? all i get is cd-chang and AUX since the attempt.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2007, 08:09:43 pm »
If it will boot and play music, it will apply the hack... 

You could try replacing ALL your players with the "flacplay" and "flacplay.sig" for old versions or "patcher" and "patcher.sig" for the new ones... ie rcopy them over "nmp3" and "nmp3.sig"

Offline cbrpunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 06:03:41 pm »
okay, figured out the first part...

i replaced my 710x unit with the 910x unit and the hack took, for some odd reason, the 710x unit will not allow me to apply the hack *i can screw with later, however just letting you all know*

it sees my 120gb drive now with about 40gb worth of tunes, however the voice prompts are on, and its not actually playing the music, im suspecting the database is borked and im re-indexing now.

looking forward to having vast amounts of tuneage for those long drives to other states :)

btw, the hack and repair cd worked great to reformat my original 9gb drive, i didnt have to rely on picking up another OEM disk from Phatnoise at a lovely expense of about $60.00 for another 10gb.

will let you know my findings, this ability to reverse engineer these units rock, and i count my blessings your here.

-cp

Offline cbrpunk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 05:40:26 pm »
finally got it working, synched up all my music and im rocking down the road...

still, i think the problem was with the 710x....

ill mess with it later, but the 9xx is working beautifuly.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2007, 02:21:57 am »
Glad to hear it's working for you... so you know... I've got a 910, a 710, and an Audi box... the patch worked fine on all of them