Author Topic: Help please - Patching Music Keg not working  (Read 19838 times)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Help please - Patching Music Keg not working
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:35:10 pm »
I ran the hack CD on my original, working 10GB DMS.  I had a 100GB DMS standing by ready to go, so I ran all the way through to hack the new disk as well.  Everything was done in a few minutes.  I thought wow, that was almost too easy.

I put the orignal DMS in my Kenwood Keg to do the patch.  It cues up the first playlist and reads "LOAD" for about 30 seconds, then "EJECT."  And that's about it.  Nothing happens, no announcement that the Keg has been patched.  Nothing.

I've tried running the hack on the orignal DMS a few more times.  Each time it appears successful but when I put it in the Keg I just get the "LOAD" and "EJECT" messages.

Out of curiousity I checked in PMM and I noticed that the first playlist was not being replaced as per the DMS hack instructions.  I even deleted all my playlists and ran the hack again, now there is still no playlist.

What can be the problem?  I've seen some mention of the ramdisk.sig file and aadec, but to be honest I don't understand what I should try.

In the worst case, can anyone explain what I should do just to get things working again with the original DMS until this is sorted out?

Thanks in advance.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Help please - Patching Music Keg not working
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 11:47:07 pm »
The updated hack disc uses the startup sound setting in the profile.ini ...

I don't understand if you are saying the original DMS does not work (is not booting up and applying the patch) or if the new DMS does not work.  Please be more specific.

Also, what does the patch log say?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 11:53:32 pm »
Sorry, I'll try to be more precise:

When I put the original DMS into the keg to apply the patch, my head unit reads "LOAD" followed after 30 seconds by "EJECT."

So, as far as I can tell it is not booting up and applying the patch.  Since it seems not to have patched, I haven't even tried the new DMS.

The patch.log reads only : No such file or directory

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 02:30:41 pm »
now that is strange.

Try reloading the firmware to the phtsys partition.  it sounds like there are files missing from your drive.  before you reload the firmware though, you should run a check disk on the DMS partitions to make sure theres no filesystem issues.

Then verify that your DMS boots up and works.  Then try the hack disc again.

If the DMS does not work before you re run the hack disc, try corrupting the ramdisk.sig by renaming it and making a copy of the phatd.sig as ramdisk.sig and see if it boots that way.

also post the contents of your bootload.log if you have one.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 07:49:31 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Meanwhile, I've also tried an unhacked known working 20GB DMS in the keg and I get the same "load"-"eject" sequence.  So I assume the patch flashed the keg part way and left it stuck in this mode somehow.

By reloading the firmare to the DMS, I assume you mean I should also force an update?  I hope that gets the keg back to square one.

Strange.  The 10GB DMS has been working fine until now.  I'll run checkdisk on it and see what happens.  I won't be able to try anything with the keg until tomorrow, but I'll post back after that.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 08:48:31 pm »
You need to corrupt the ramdisk.sig on the original DMS and let it rerun the patch as the box hung part way through and thats why its failing.  or should be.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 10:24:06 pm »
OK, will try the ramdisk thing on the 10GB DMS.  

Should that fail I will try to use the unhacked 20GB DMS to force a firmware update back to the original.  Stop me if you think that's a bad idea!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 11:19:28 pm »
The firmware and the patch are two totally seperate things.  We are patching the bootloader which is stored in FLASH as opposed to the Firmware which is loaded into another chip so theres no way to really undo what we change in the bootloader.

if the 10 gig dms doesnt work the 20 shouldn't either unless something happened to the signature on the 10 gig drive.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 10:05:52 am »
OK, I ran checkdisk on the 10GB DMS and found no problems.  So then I reloaded the orignal Kenwood firmware on the DMS, and ran a check with DMS Doctor which reported no problems.  So the DMS was more or less returned to its original state, I guess.  (I deleted forceupdate and forcesettings so as not to needlessly update the Keg.)

I re-ran the hack disk on the DMS and everything appeared to go smoothly.  Before trying it again in the Keg I ran DMS Doctor and it was succesful except under system files it reports:  
FAIL: MD5 checksum failed for M:\aadec.sig

Is that normal?  As far as I can tell the aadec.sig file on which it is reporting is a patched file.

The patch.log still reads: No such file or directory

My Keg is being transplanted today into a new car so I will try it later, I'm just wondering if this aadec message is already indicating a potential problem.

ONE MORE THING:  I saw in an earlier post that at least at one point the hack CD didn't work with the USB 1.1 cradle.  That is what I have been using.  Is that the problem?  And if so, what is my way out?

I have a USB 2 cradle but the bloody flimsy metal power switch broke on it after a couple of uses, haven't been able to fix it yet.  I have also used a USB 2 drive enclosure to transfer songs in PMM and it works fine.  Could that be an option to work with the CD?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 10:20:26 am by markbowen »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 04:55:02 pm »
Anyone out there?

I've checked what is on the 10GB DMS against what should occur according to the manual patch process in the wiki, and clearly the patch is not properly decompressing on my DMS now.

The only playlists in my PHTDTA\Profiles\Default folder are my own.  The patch playlist is not copying over.

So judb is right, the first time I ran the patch on the keg it was there but didn't finish it.  After the first try I wiped all my playlists and music and reloaded just a few artists and two playlists.  Since re-running the hack on the DMS for some reason it isn't decompressing, so when I start up the keg it is trying to finish but finding only my music playlists and crapping out.  At least I hope it's that simple.

So now I assume (and hope) the way to at least finish patching the keg is the manual method.  Comments?  Suggestions?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 06:15:46 pm »
yes the aadec.sig check should fail...

It sounds like it should be working now, otherwise please post:

1.  Logfiles from the hack
2.  fdisk print-out of your partition table on the hacked dms

You can just use a generic phatnoise rescue CD to regenerate the partitions on the non-original DMS if you prefer to try that...  you can of course remove the forceupdate file after reapplying firmware to the second DMS... no need to have it reprogram your 8051

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 12:40:12 am »
I've checked what is on the 10GB DMS against what should occur according to the manual patch process in the wiki
The manual patch method is different than the Hack CD. AFAIK the manual method still uses a playlist. The hack CD uses the startup sound.  So the disk contents won't be the same.

You need to corrupt the ramdisk.sig on the original DMS and let it rerun the patch
You really should try what judb suggested.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 07:33:36 am »
Stand by everyone -- just had the Keg transplanted into a new car over the weekend, and I think they forgot to plug the cable into the back of the head unit!  Definitely not getting any power.  Will get it sorted out in a few days and then hopefully post news of a successful flash.

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 11:12:57 pm »
You might have the problem that I had with my Keg - i.e. a different flash chip.

See http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1129910028

AFAIK the current boot cd doesn't use the latest phatpatch version (which allows for both types of flash unlock command). So you'll need to copy the latest phatpatch to [PHTSYS]/backup folder before running the patch.
Get it here http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/phatpatch-0.5.gz

Once you get that right the whole flash patching process only takes a few seconds before the confirmation mesage plays.

EDIT: Fixed URL for phatpatch
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 11:31:53 pm by sbingner »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 06:19:07 pm »
Finally had the music keg properly installed -- very nicely in the drawer under the pasenger seat, so it's getting power now.

But when I try to boot up the keg now, I get a constant red light and a flashing green light.  The head unit doesn't properly recognize the keg either, it first flashes "disc changer" and then "aux ext."  When working properly it will say "hdd" and then switch to the playlists.

I turned everything off and the light on the keg stayed red and flashing green.  I left it alone for an hour and came back and it was still doing the same thing.  I didn't see any way out other than to disconnect the keg from the cable.

I'm ready to try everybody's previous suggestions but I'm concerned by that endless red and flashing green lights.  Do I have a bigger problem now?

(FYI I got so frustrated I pulled the drawer out and stuck in my spare nonflashed Audi/VW Phatbox, which is big enough to sit firmly under the seat, and it works fine.  I'm certainly willing to try flashing that one as well but I see there have been some issues with flashing the VW boxes, so.....)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 11:40:51 pm »
Sounds like it's stuck in some sort of firmware-flash loop... I'd reccomend reloading the firmware on your DMS using PMM

You may want to enable debug logging also

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 04:54:36 pm »
I appreciate everyone's suggestions, I look forward to sorting this out soon.  But this will be on hold for a week or so over Christmas, as I'm far away from my car.

And hey, happy holidays everyone.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 08:20:39 pm »
OK, I am back in action and have tried sbinger's suggestion of reloading the firmware -- doesn't help.

I re-ran the hack disk and tried Firefox's suggestion of copying the most recent phatpatch to the backup folder -- no luck.

No matter what I do, when I hook up the keg it just goes into an endless green light flashing thing, occasionally stopping and then starting back up again.  The only way to get it to stop is to disconnect the cable.

I've got no logs to post.  There is no patch log.

I have only the boot log, which says:
BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*-X: Failed

I note again that as far as I can tell, when I run the hack disk on the original DMS, it does not seem to be copying all files over correctly.  The patch playlist files get copied only to the backup folder on phtsys, not to the Profiles\Default folder on phtdta.  I have tried coping them over manually, which makes no difference.

Now what?  Is my keg hosed?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 09:21:35 pm »
need to know how many times the green led flashes - that's a diagnostic code.

have you corrupted your ramdisk.sig by overwriting it with say, linux.sig yet?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 09:26:27 pm »
oh, and actually hosing the keg is practically impossible so don't worry too much about that.... I've done some pretty scary stuff to mine and it still works ;)

of course that's also not license to do strange things to it.... I'm sure there IS a way to fry it