Author Topic: Will Phatbox work in a 2006 Audi S4  (Read 4280 times)

Offline hattori888

• PhatHacker
Will Phatbox work in a 2006 Audi S4
« on: December 12, 2005, 05:01:25 pm »
Hi,
I am interested in purchasing an Audi Phatbox for my new 2006 Audi S4 and was told by the dealership that my radio will not work with the Phatbox due to the satellite receiver.  I was also told that the software within the newer radio is unable to interface with the Phatbox.  I have also did some searches and this forum as well as the Audiworld forum and saw people that had installed it but not for my particular car model and specific radio model.  I have the standard Audi Symphony II radio with the satellite receiver.  Can anyone tell me if the Phatbox will work with my radio and what parts I will need?  Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline dafamous12

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Smurfin On 18 Wheels Across The U.S.A!!
Re: Will Phatbox work in a 2006 Audi S4
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:20:16 am »
The short answer is no. The only other way is to get a keg or flash an audi pb with the kenwood firmware. You will need a keg cable with either choice and the Kenwood KCA-R71 FM MODULATOR to play it through the radio and the sound quality will suffer a little.Your dealer told you correctly about the pb not working with the 06 audi's. That's why audi/vw pb were being sold for 99 dollars to clear out stock.

Offline gsh923

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 09:43:32 pm »
I installed my PB in my 2006 (B7) Audi A4. The car had a factory glovebox changer. I Removed the PB's aluminum portion of the case and mounted the center portion where the factory changer was previously located. It had the rectangular plug, not the round one, so I used a VW cable. It works fine.

You may need to obtain the wiring harness from the PB's cable to the radio if your car doesnt have a factory changer, but the radio definatly supports it. The A4/S4 use the same radios.

It was quite an easy install. Yours might be a bit more difficult if you need to run the extra cable. But it DEFINATLY can be done.

My car also has Sirius radio, and they both work fine together
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:45:25 pm by gsh923 »

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 12:02:12 am »
Hi,
I am interested in purchasing an Audi Phatbox for my new 2006 Audi S4 and was told by the dealership that my radio will not work with the Phatbox due to the satellite receiver.  I was also told that the software within the newer radio is unable to interface with the Phatbox.  I have also did some searches and this forum as well as the Audiworld forum and saw people that had installed it but not for my particular car model and specific radio model.  I have the standard Audi Symphony II radio with the satellite receiver.  Can anyone tell me if the Phatbox will work with my radio and what parts I will need?  Thanks in advance.  :)

Yes you can! The OEM satellite radio tuner has an audio pass-thru. You would need to install/make a custom cabel to make it work. I have a similar setup in my Audi S4 but my audi is a MY 2000. I made my cable from a Kenwood CD changer cable that I bought from Crutchfield.

If you ask around on the audio forum on www.audiworld.com for NSX jr, he is very knowledgeable on what you'd need to make it work. It shouldn't be to hard to do at all.

Report back when you find out.

BTW, my head unit is the RNS-E Navigation.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:04:45 am by mts »
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com