Author Topic: Red Phatbox  (Read 7396 times)

Offline sulaco

• A few posts under my belt.
Red Phatbox
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:52:20 pm »
What is the layout of the DMS of a red phatbox?

If its the same (PHTDTA AND PHTSYS) partition layout, can anyone get a copy of a red phatboxes PHTSYS partition (if it has one).

Offline A543

• Veteran.
Re: Red Phatbox
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 03:00:05 am »
I'm guessing it's the same.  But obviously there is a difference in that the Red Box doesn't check for the presence of the magic key.  There is a routine in there somewhere that tells the code it's running on a Red Box and not to bother with the keycheck, or just to pass the test.  Something we could look into.
I believe the processors are different on the Red boxes.  I wonder if the processor ID string can be modified, then we could tell our newer processors to report that they are old ones.  Heh.  Just thinking out loud.
Anyone know for sure what's different in the Red boxes?

Offline sulaco

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:02:47 pm »
or the software running on the DMS (e.g phatd e.t.c) is older and doesnt have any protection in it..

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 03:23:27 pm »
It would be interesting to compare the files on a Red box with a more recent box.  I suspect the software is just one version, as the Red boxes have kept up with the new features that have come out with the newer version of the software, and that the only differences between one box and another are in the firmware.  Just a guess though.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 09:58:44 pm »
the red boxes use the same firmware, they just boot a different file off the firmware since the architecture is different.  I expect the real difference is in the ROM itself...

Offline jonah

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:11:30 pm »
I've taken a new hard drive, partitioned it, and then "updated" it to the lastest firmware using PMM. Stick it in the car, turn it on, it blinks for a few minutes and it's ready to go.
(2001 Audi S4/RedPB/80gb)

My Audi Install: http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1255425.phtml.