Author Topic: DMS db file format?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
DMS db file format?
« on: May 03, 2013, 09:06:04 am »
The tracks.db, artist.db, album.db and genre.db files on the DMS PHTDTA partition looks fairly self-explanatory (tab-separated fields) but I don't know what the 6th field is.  It's a number but not unique.  For example, a line might look like this:

/dos/data/media/steve tibbetts - a man about a horse/01 - lupra.flac   Lupra   Steve Tibbetts   A Man About a Horse   New Age   287      01   NotFound.jpg

The 6th field is the "287" on that line.  I am doing some manual hacking on my db files and want to know what that field is.  Anyone know?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:11:40 pm by amb »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: DMS db file format?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:01 am »
I don't recall finding any information about what this ID is (confirmed by a 'specification' document I have in the PhatMM project), and I can't remember if I did any actual analysis on what I thought it was.

However, Phathack Media Manager writes the 'mediaid' for the corresponding track from the media table into this field.

By the way, the artist/album/genre .db files aren't used.  They were files from early versions of the PhatBox, so unless you are running an old system they're not needed.
If you DO find out what they are (perhaps there's a clue in the Phat4X project?) - please let me know!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline amb

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:11 am »
By the way, the artist/album/genre .db files aren't used.  They were files from early versions of the PhatBox, so unless you are running an old system they're not needed.
Yes, I know that.  I use the build_idx program (by Vince Busam) to generate the new style DMS database and index files (under the Profiles folder) from custom tracks.db, album.db, artist.db and genre.db files.  This is why I am trying to understand what the 6th field  is.  I tried looking at the build_idx source code but it's not easy to read, and it seems not to use that field at all (but I'm not sure).

However, Phathack Media Manager writes the 'mediaid' for the corresponding track from the media table into this field.
Hmm, what exactly is this mediaid?

I am sure PhatHack Media Manager also generates the new style DMS database and index files, are those generated XXX.idx files (where XXX is a number) related to the 6th field at all?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:24 am »
The 6th field, as far as I know, has no bearing on the operation of the PhatBox - so I never looked any further once I'd established things seemed to be working okay!

Both PhatNoise Media / Music Manager and PhatHack MM work from an SQLite database (Phathack Media Manager uses an almost identical structure to the PhatNoise one). 
One of the tables is a table of all media, and the 'mediaid' is simply the unique identity of the media within that table.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline amb

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:15:29 am »
OK, thanks, that's useful info.  If the 6th field is not used on the PhatBox, then I can just stick any number in there and hope the db/index files generated by build_idx work! :)