Author Topic: Advice on buying Music Keg  (Read 5659 times)

Offline AvidAngler

• In Over My Head!
Advice on buying Music Keg
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:45:03 am »
Hi all! I'm new to the forums 8-)

My name is Dave and I've just finished installing a new stereo system in my truck using a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X889 HU as the centerpiece of my setup.  I'm interested in adding a Music Keg instead of a disc changer but know very little about the PhatBox/Music Keg system or any known issues with reliability/longevity of the units.  I read the post stating that Kenwood will no longer be selling or supporting the Keg system and this has me pretty confused as to whether I should buy one or not.

The basic idea of the Music Keg system seems sound to me and it sure would be nice to not have to deal with changing discs all the time. Guess what I'm looking for here is for some of you who are really knowledgeable on the issues to give me enough info so I can make a decision whether to commit to the system or not.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help

Dave

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Advice on buying Music Keg
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 04:10:10 am »
I'd reccomend buying an Audi or VW phatbox off ebay, but then you'll need to somehow locate a Kenwood changer cable for it, the kenwood connection uses more conductors the Audi or VW so you'd need a whole new cable...

Offline AvidAngler

• In Over My Head!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:49:08 am »
I'd reccomend buying an Audi or VW phatbox off ebay, but then you'll need to somehow locate a Kenwood changer cable for it, the kenwood connection uses more conductors the Audi or VW so you'd need a whole new cable...

Yeah, I've been looking at some of the offerings on e-Bay.  Why is it that the dealers are blowing out their inventory on these units?

I'm not an computer expert - just an average guy who owns one.  I can do stuff like an occasional reformat, upgrade my memory or change out a drive as long as I have instructions to go by but know nothing when it comes to writing code, programming, etc.  I just want to know if a PhatBox would be a reliable addition to my stereo system as a mass storage device/music player.  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:45:19 am by AvidAngler »

Offline AvidAngler

• In Over My Head!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:07:17 am »
BTW - would this be the cable I would need to hook a VW or Audi PhatBox up to my Kenwood HU?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENCAC2EX

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 06:13:33 am »
No, it's a special cable... see http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:50:57 am »
If you've got a bit of extra cash to spend, I suggest:

Buy a proper Music Keg if you can still find one (the keg is discontinued and even former reliable suppliers like Crutchfield have none left).  The Music Keg package has everything you need to get up and running with your system, including the elusive properietary cable, which you will not likely find anywhere else.  And don't pay more than $250 for the package.

Then as a backup, buy one of the Audi Phatboxes on ebay, for about $150.  The Audi boxes can easily be transformed into Music Kegs by a very simple firmware flash.  With the Audi boxes you also get a 20GB disk and a fast USB 2.0 cradle (as opposed to the 10GB disk and 1.1 cradle with the Keg).

This may not be the best solution, but unless you know how to make cables, it is the only solution.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline AvidAngler

• In Over My Head!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 08:09:45 am »
In doing some searching, I've found a couple of deals on Keg/PhatBox units.

One is a new Kenwood KHD-C710 for $200 total shipped to me - actually the seller has two & I might be able to get both for $350 but I don't see why I really need two.  Units were just purchased at a Magnolia HiFi store on closeout and the buyer will provide the sales receipt so the 1 yr factory warranty would be good.   Both come with the standard 10gb DMS and the USB 1.1 cradle.

The other is a new Audi PhatBox with the 20gb cartridge and 2.0 cradle for $174 shipped. It also would come with a 1 yr warranty per the parts person at the Audi dealership that's selling them. The Kenwood KHD-5L1 cable will run me $55-$65 depending on who I bought it from for a total of around $230.

Now to weigh the pluses & negatives.

The positive - going with the Audi unit would of course be doubling the DMS storage and getting the USB 2.0 cradle - to utilize it I'd have to upgrade my USB on my computer as it's USB 1.1 but no big deal there.  

The negative - from what I've read in past post's, using a VW or Audi PhatBox with a Kenwood HU requires the Kenwood firmware flash.  In doing this I would lose the ability to browse by artist/album/genre and also VIOT but there appears to be a hack to get around that.  

So, how big of a deal is it to not be able to browse by artist/album/genre?  If it's not a major thing fine but I could go with the Kenwood Keg if it really makes navigating the DMS and finding the music you want to play a lot easier.

I really appreciate anyone helping out with advice or comments on this - I'm taking a big step (for me) into new technology (again, for me) and hopefully will be getting set up with a much better music player than a CD changer or Ipod.  

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 08:17:53 am »
You don't get the SSA with the kenwood unit either, so you're in the same place.   I'd reccomend buying the Audi box and the Kenwood, it can be pretty hard to get the proper cable, alot of times you hear you can get the cable from someplace but then it turns out you don't get it by what I hear...  If you do that, you have a USB 2.0 cradle, an extra DMS cartridge and spare parts for not too much more than just the kenwood + USB 2.0 cradle or audi box + kenwood cable would have cost

Offline AvidAngler

• In Over My Head!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 08:59:48 pm »
Ok - A new Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg is on its way to me - should be here by this Tuesday or Wednesday!

A question on hooking it up to my 2005 Kenwood KDC-X889 head unit - will it plug directly into the port on the back of my HU that is labled "Kenwood Disk Changer/External Optional Accessory"?

The reason I ask is someone on another forum said I would need a Kenwood KCA-S210A switching unit to be able to use it.  In reading info on the KCA-S210A, it sounds to me like it's intended use is for when you have two external source units such as two CD changers or a Keg and a changer.  Info on Kenwood's site doesn't make anything clear as to whether I need it or not so if no one here knows, I'll call Kenwood on Monday & ask them.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:06:00 pm by AvidAngler »

Offline gallagher419

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Freakin' sweet!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 09:23:58 pm »
You don't need to buy the KCA-S210A it is for when you have to kegs to hook up. Just plug the keg into the CD Changer port and you will be good to go.
"Gays don't vomit. They're a very clean people. And they have been ever since they came to this country from France."