Author Topic: Strange things on a Kenwood keg!!  (Read 7813 times)

Offline chinaski

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Strange things on a Kenwood keg!!
« on: January 16, 2006, 04:16:38 pm »
Hi all,
THis is my first post, I have read a lot and I cannot find any problem like mine.

There goes my poltergeist:
I own a S3 Audi (I live in Spain) and the HU is a concertII. In Spain we do not have phatbox systems at the audi dealerships, so I bought a kenwood keg and a kenwood to audi adapter (PIE brand). The fact is that the adapter simulates an audi CD changer, so the keg only handles up to 6 discs. Furthermore, each disc has a limit of songs, for example, disc 1 can only handle 17 tracks,disc 6 22 tracks.....
I have changed the firm to 13.01 and it is even worse, disc 1 only 1 track, disc 2 only 2 tracks... disc 6 only 6 tracks, unless you switch off and on the HU, that way each disc handles 99 tracks...
If any of you understand what I am trying to explain knows anything about how could I solve the problem, I would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help,
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:08:44 pm by admin »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Strange things on a Kenwood keg!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:35:46 pm »
I suspect you have a PIE /PC-KNN adaptor, when you need a /PC-KNNSR adaptor... not sure how you get around your problems, but with the proper pinouts you could make a Phatbox->Audi cable and use the native Audi firmware.  I expect that's your best bet, but since I'm not at home now I can't get you the pinouts

Offline chinaski

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 07:18:06 am »
Thanks for the reply.
I have the PC-KNNSR adapter, but the weird thing is that if I update firmware to anything higher than 11.5 the thing gets even worse. What in the firmware could do this??I have noticed that in firmware 11.5 there is a .xml document named currentsetup.xml, while in the following firmwares the .xml document is properties.xml, could this be a problem?? Sorry if I ask dumb questions....
Anyway, It would be nice  if you sent me the pinouts to see if I can manage a cable here.
Thnx

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 07:31:29 am »
FYI in case you can't make the Audi Phatbox cable, you could also easily buy one on ebay.  Many of the sellers will ship internationally.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline chinaski

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 08:30:07 am »
But wouldn't I need then any adapter?? I mean, like blitzsafe or anything??

Thnx

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:52:12 pm »
The Kenwood Keg with Audi firmware installed can connect directly to the concert II head unit with no adapters all you need is the Audi firmware installed on your Keg, appropriate phatnoise “Jumper” cable and an Audi CD changer cable  installed in your car.

The Audi phatnoise installation instructions for the A3 are here (tells you about the cables):-
http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/downloads/11-08-05_A3_PhatNoise.pdf

The original Kenwood keg cable is not compatible with Audi (different pins used on the Keg Plug) I have just done the same process but in reverse Audi to Keg I still have both my cables for my concert II  not sure on a price & I do live in the UK but if you get stuck PM me.

You should also be able to buy the CD changer cable from any main Audi dealer using this part number 4B0-051-735-B & modify the end using the pin outs & attach a Phatnoise plug or just modifiy your factory fitted cable.
You can buy this plug from.

http://www.rs-components.com/index.html

Part No     299-4597         Connector,rectangular,solder plug,26 way
                448-4531        Connector,rectangular,plastic,screw lock,backshell,26 way

They have a Spanish branch

The pin outs are listed here http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html

I bought my phatbox from Clair parts and they shipped to the UK so they should ship to Spain  http://www.clairparts.com/  they have the cables you need listed on their website.

If you already have a factory fitted Audi CD changer cable  installed in your car  all you need is one of these:-

This is a replacement jumper cable that connects the Phatnoise box to the cd-changer cable in the rear. CHOOSE THE CABLE TYPE REQUIRED FROM THE DROP DOWN OPTIONS MENU.

Part No.:  000-051-592-A
Sale Price: $ 45.35

You have a choice of a rectangular or round plug on the above jumper cable (this cable is short) some new >02 Audis have a rectangular CD Changer cable which is listed as a VW connection others have a round. The cable mentioned below is a round plug listed as an Audi Connection.

If you have no Audi CD changer cable or need to run one to the rear then you also need one of these & a round jumper cable which is listed as Audi:-

REQUIRED FOR CARS W/O CG CHANGER PREPARATION. This cable runs from the radio head unit in the dash to the rear where the Phatnoise is mounted.

Part No.:  4B0-051-735-B
Sale Price: $ 104.40

Hope this helps
Craig  :)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 01:23:45 pm by timps »

Offline chinaski

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:30:58 pm »
Thank you for the reply Craig,
I do not feel like spending any more money on the issue,I will try to explain what I have and see if I can make my own cable:
I have:
- Original kenwood keg cable
- PIE  VWR/PC-KNNSR adapter, yo can see it here:  http://discountave.net/vwpiediprco2.html

- ISO adapter:  http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=657  

So if I buy the 3 M keg end connector, any 26 wire cable and I plug to the HU ISO connector I will be OK?
Which pinout scheme should I follow? the phatbox to audi or phatbox  to VW??
Thanks a lot....

Offline timps

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 07:07:54 pm »
Yes that would work but the type of cable is important & usually expensive you do not need 26 wire cable you only need 9 wires on an Audi/ VW
(Actually 11 but 2 sets are connected together in the cable and use 2 pins rather than 4 at the radio end)

You could cut both ends off the keg cable & use that cable with a new connector and pins.
(Checking the wires as Kenwood cable goes from 14 at the Keg plug to 12 at the headunit plug again 2 sets connected not sure where they are joined)

Or try to swap it plenty of people seem to want a keg cable.

The pins that go in the head unit ISO connector are available from Audi.
In the UK they cost £1 each. They are a wire with a pin on each end cut the wire in half and solder onto your cable you will need 5 which will be enough for nine wires.

Female pins with wires Audi part#000 979 131, 000 979 131A or 000-979-019; pins only Audi Part#N-103-357-06 or N-103-358-07

The back of the concert II is the same as VW the only difference between VW & Audi is the CD changer cable itself  & this does not apply in your case so use the VW pin out and match up the pin data on the back of the concert II (also listed on page 9 titled "PhatNoise Digital Media Player-Pin Diagram-concert II Radio" from http://www.phatnoise.com/audi/downloads/11-08-05_A3_PhatNoise.pdf ) with that listed in the pin out wiki page. Do not use the pin numbers at the VW or Audi end these are for the changer cables use what they are “Data clock to HU” from keg  = “CD Clock from CD Changer”  at the head unit etc.

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:58:32 pm by timps »

Offline Johnny

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:17:57 pm »
Quick thought, are you using kenwood firmware?

As far as I understand it you should use the Audi firmware for the phatbox in an Audi no matter what the box was originally.

Would appreciate someone who knows for sure confirming this.....

Offline timps

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 09:42:35 pm »
Yes Audi firmware if you connect directly to the Audi head unit with a cable.

The problem here is that it is connected through a Kenwood to Audi emulator  not directly to the head unit & now trying to make a cable.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:18:15 pm by timps »

Offline timps

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 09:55:18 pm »
This may also help
The Pin outs I worked out from the wiki are as follows  please check for yourself I take no responsibility as I never used them after working out the price of components I  bought a cable instead.

Keg          VW             Concert II
              Cable
1              10                   19
2               7                    20
3               9                    18
4               3                    10
10             6                    16
12             2                    15
13             6                    16
14             8                    17
16             3                    10
24             4                    14
25             1                    13
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:01:32 pm by timps »

Offline Johnny

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 09:58:34 pm »
Now I understand.....

I've got a spare Audi Phatbox Lead (the short one that comes with the Audi PB) if thats what we are after: rectangular PB connector to a female 13 pin DIN about 1.5 metres long and with CAS-001-AU-15 labelled on the DIN plug.

Offline chinaski

• PhatHacker
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 09:06:22 am »
Thnx for your help, I will try to figure out the cheapest way to get around this....
I think I will buy the PB wire harness from someone in the forum and solder it to the ISO adapter that I already have for the HU end.
Stay outta trouble....

Offline dafamous12

• Smurfin On 18 Wheels Across The U.S.A!!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 12:04:28 am »
I have an vw/audi that I'll swap with you for the kenwood keg cable if you haven't cut it up.PM me.