Author Topic: Can I convert a VW unit to a BMW unit?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline InterMurph

• A few posts under my belt.
Can I convert a VW unit to a BMW unit?
« on: September 04, 2005, 07:51:19 pm »
My brother has a BMW, and he wants a Phatnoise.  The BMW units seem to be rather expensive.  Can I buy the VW unit for $116, and convert it into a BMW unit?  

I assume I would need to build or acquire a new cable.  But is that all I would have to do?

Thanks.

Offline bicsingh

• PhatHacker
Re: Can I convert a VW unit to a BMW unit?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 03:37:13 pm »
Hi there,

same problem, just curious if you had any success...

TIA Bic

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 09:49:58 pm »
same problem, just curious if you had any success...
I did this for another BMW owner. He bought the Audi version and a BlitzSafe BMW/ALP DMX V.1 adapter. I made up the BMW PhatBox cable and did the mod on the BlitzSafe (re-soldering the jumper from 12V to 5V) and reprogrammed his PhatBox and it is working fine.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 10:59:40 pm »
are there any details on the 5v mod you did that can be tossed up on the wiki? (if its not already there, I didn't check to be honest).. that would be useful info to capture.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:52:36 pm »
are there any details on the 5v mod you did that can be tossed up on the wiki? (if its not already there, I didn't check to be honest).. that would be useful info to capture.
It is pretty trivial - it was posted on the old PhatNoise forums. Basically, the BlitzSafe has a jumper inside the case which is labeled "5" and "12" on the board silkscreen. A stock BlitzSafe unit will either have a solder jumper in "12", or an etch on the PCB doing the same thing. All you do is remove the solder jumper or cut the etch, and then place a blob of solder on the "5" side. This changes one of the lines (data? not sure) from the BlitzSafe to the PhatBox to use 5V signalling levels instead of 12V. This is also the reason you can't drop a BMW PhatBox into an old-bus Alpine system - the Alpine uses 12V.

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 01:30:28 pm »
Blitzsafe changed the software in these adapters and the new version doesn't work with the Phatbox FYI.