Author Topic: Computer and car does not recognize cartridge  (Read 3235 times)

Offline markwebb

• PhatHacker
Computer and car does not recognize cartridge
« on: February 22, 2006, 01:56:42 pm »
About 2 weeks ago, I tried to play with the voice support and add new voices to my VM phatnoise system.  Somewhere along the way I think the cartridge got corrupted.  I inserted the cartridge into my USB cradle, and Windows XP would not recognize the cartridge.  I re-inserted and also tried to reboot, and no change.  I re-installed the Phatnoise Media and Music Manager and not change.  I tried on a second Windows XP machine and the same thing.  In fact rebooting Windows XP seemed to take much longer when the cartridge/cradle were hooked up.  Windows seems to recognize that there is a device present, but cannot assign a drive letter to it.
I then tried to hook up the cradle to a linux machine and could mount the one of the partitions, I don't remember which one linux recognized (PHTDTA or PHTSYS).  Linux reported that the partition was about 20Gig.  I guess on this issue I am confused as to why linux only saw one partition.  Was is because there is really only one partition on the drive, or is the second partition corrupt and this is my problem.

So I guess my question is, how can I format/recover my phatnoise cartridge?  It appears that this will not happen using Windows, since Windows cannot recognize the drive.

Thanks...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Computer and car does not recognize cartridge
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:50:12 pm »
you need to download the hack and repair cd and use the repair option.. this will reparitition and reformat the DMS.  if you didn't hose your signature on the drive you'll be fine.

Offline markwebb

• PhatHacker
Re: Computer and car does not recognize cartridge
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 02:47:15 pm »
Well, I think I hosed the PHTSYS partition, because the repair does not work.  I contacted the seller (1stvwparts.com) and they said that I could send the entire system to them, and they would send me a new one.  Also they said that I could take it to a local VW dealer and they would replace it(I am in NY, they are in WA).  I am going to try local first, then it all else fails, I will send it to 1stvwparts.

Thanks for the help.