Author Topic: VW PhatBox with BMW Blitzsafe not working  (Read 4657 times)

Offline dodgson

• PhatHacker
VW PhatBox with BMW Blitzsafe not working
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:31:16 pm »
I have a VW PhatBox(2003) with a BMW Blitzsafe that I am trying to get to work in a 2001 BMW 325 (with factory navigation).

I had the unit installed at a car audio shop (to get it to fit where the factory cd change goes) but the installer did not have the DMS plugged into the PhatBox when he first connected the Blitzsafe to the PhatBox.  I loaded up music onto the DMS without any problem, but when I plugged the DMS into the Phat Box I got a steady red light and a flashing green light that never stops flashing (waited overnight).  In the morning, the monitor displays  "Disc 01, Track1" for a second and then holds with "CD CHECK".

I unplugged and replugged the Blitzsafe but get the same result.  I updated the firmware.  Same problem.

Is this a DMS problem, a Blitzsafe problem or a VW PhatBox problem?

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: VW PhatBox with BMW Blitzsafe not working
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:31:36 am »
Is this a DMS problem, a Blitzsafe problem or a VW PhatBox problem?
Is this a PhatNoise-supplied Blitzsafe adapter and cable? The generic Blitzsafe needs to be modified to support the PhatBox - you can damage the PhatBox if you connect it to a generic Blitzsafe.

I suspect you haven't updated the firmware on the PhatBox (since you didn't mention it). Put the DMS in the PC cradle and use the maintenance option (the particular menus vary depending on which PhatNoise software you have on the PC) and install BMW firmware. Then eject the DMS and put it in the car PhatBox. After 5 minutes or so of flashing LEDs, the firmware should be updated and you should be able to select the PhatBox as a CD changer from the BMW head unit.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:33:15 am »
when I plugged the DMS into the Phat Box I got a steady red light and a flashing green light that never stops flashing (waited overnight).
Is this a "real" DMS? This sounds like the DMS has been formatted and the magic signature erased.

Offline dodgson

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:34:30 am »
Thanks.  The DMS looks "real" and works perfectly in the usb.  I have tried updating the firmware.  Also tried DMS doctor and Windows Defrag utility.  Nothing.

I don't know if the blitzsafe cable was modified.  I bought the package from a guy on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8041985132&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Now the guy won't return calls or emails.  Sounds like I've been taken if the Blitzsafe has to modified in order to work.

Thanks for the help.  Any further advice on getting this to work is greatly appreciated.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 05:52:25 am »
Thanks for the help.  Any further advice on getting this to work is greatly appreciated.
I think the first step is to get a boot log - see http://wiki.phathack.com/Bootloader_FAQ. That should tell us if the DMS is correctly signed.

Where are you located? Perhaps there's a fellow PhatHacker in your area...

Offline dodgson

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 05:31:30 pm »
Thanks again.  I'll try it.

I'm in L.A.

Offline kbsilver

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 09:53:41 pm »
As others have said try and do a firmware update.  I had something like this happen once (I've installed several of these in BMWs).  Phatbox (Audi converted unit) was tested and working fine in the car with the sample/factory load on the DMS.  Put the music on the DMS and the phatbox stopped working.  Did the firmware update (again, as it was already done previously for the conversion) and eveything worked fine after.  That was several months ago and there have not been any problems since.

Offline dodgson

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 11:20:34 pm »
It works.  The guy I bought it from on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=804 1985132&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
 ) resurfaced and helped me troubleshoot it.  Update firmware did the trick.  Thanks.