Author Topic: After applying patch, DMS never shuts off  (Read 4722 times)

Offline shack

After applying patch, DMS never shuts off
« on: March 19, 2006, 11:39:09 pm »
Hey folks,

I've got a post-hack issue here.  My Phatbox, which functioned perfectly pre-hack, no longer shuts off the power to the HD.  After I turn the car off, both the red and green lights light up solid and the hard drive doesn't spin down.  This isn't a huge issue during the week, but more and more on the weekends, I don't always drive the car so come Sunday or Monday, the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the car (like now - I'm writing this as it charges up again).  If I wait for the lights to come on solid, and eject the DMS, the lights actually stay lit.  However, if I re-insert the DMS, they do turn off and the drive doesn't continue to spin.  

I've applied the hack, re-applied the hack, verified from the log file that all the bytes have been patched, re-flashed the firmware and am at a loss as to what to do now.  

Any suggestions?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: After applying patch, DMS never shuts off
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:36:34 am »
I suspect it's an issue with communications.... when I connected mine to my car via a Sony adaptor, it had the same problem... what firmware are you running?

Offline shack

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:09:46 pm »
Sam,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  Life is very chaotic right now...

Anyway, I finally had a chance to check - I'm running the BMW 9.0 firmware.  I suspected it may have something to do with that so after I re-applied the patch (and checked the log to make absolutely sure it had patched all the bytes), I re-applied the firmware.  Unfortunately, with the same results.  

Thoughts?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:25:59 am »
well, the patch only applies to the boot loader, so it's impossible it has anything to do with it.... try to figure out what else may have changed.  Are you sure it powered down previously?  The firmware you reapplied is for the 8051, which WOULD have something to do with it

Offline shack

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 05:19:09 am »
Sam,

It definitely worked properly pre-hack.  I noticed this behavior begin immediately after the hack.  It's been like this for several months now and only now have I had a chance to start looking at it, re-apply the hack, re-flash the firmware, etc. (actually I don't have a lot of time for it now as you can tell from the amount of time it takes for me to respond.  I have even less time, however, for a car that doesn't start if I forget to eject the DMS before it sits for 2 days).  In any case, I'll pull everything apart and make sure all the connectors to the box and the Blitz adapter are OK.  If I can locate it, I'll also try my other BMW->Blitz cable.

I'll let you know the outcome.