Author Topic: What hard drives work well in the Phatbox?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline rzl

• PhatHacker
What hard drives work well in the Phatbox?
« on: March 26, 2006, 02:14:01 pm »
Does anyone know which hard drives work well (from past experience)?  I have a vehicle which rides very harsh and there is quite a bit of heat in my truck in the summertime.  It doesn't get too terribly cold around here though.  I'm probably going to get a 40 or 60 gig drive from Newegg and I noticed that they have ones that handle quite a bit of G's.  Are these ones necessary or are the cheaper ones fine?  Thanks for any suggestions. ;D

Offline Kat_Daddy

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Re: What hard drives work well in the Phatbox?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 04:14:18 pm »
I used the old fujitsu 40 gig from my laptop. It works better than my original dms drive i havnt heard a skip yet. And its mounted on the rear deck next to the speakers. I also have rubber bushings on the screws.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:28 pm »
you can run any drive you want in the phatbox. however based on the drive's G rating you may not have a very long lifespan if you buy a cheap drive.  

remember, you get what you pay for.  the better the shock rating the more life you should get out of it in theory.

Offline rzl

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 12:16:07 am »
Do you know if anyone has tried a 7200 RPM drive?  Do you think that it would be way too much heat for that little case?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 03:00:51 pm »
I have not but I don't expect that you'd get any serious benifit out of it.  the phatbox has a pretty weak CPU and I doubt it would improve ogg playback or anything like that since its CPU constrained.  

The 7200 rpm drives would generate more heat and pull more power so use at your own risk.

that said, i doubt that you would have any immediate issues.

Offline amster

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:54:30 pm »
I used the old fujitsu 40 gig from my laptop. It works better than my original dms drive i havnt heard a skip yet. And its mounted on the rear deck next to the speakers. I also have rubber bushings on the screws.
hallo
i am queate new to this hobby
do you maby have a picture of it :)
if than a big thanks
..amster..