Author Topic: loosing connection pached musickeg  (Read 7167 times)

Offline eddy123

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
loosing connection pached musickeg
« on: April 03, 2006, 06:10:18 pm »
I patched my Musickeg for use with a Concert I HU in my Audi. Mostly when I start driving after having switch off the engine for a while the unit doesn't want to work or maybe doesn't wants to boot. I than need to remove the plug to the Phatbox/Musickeg and insert it back to have it play again but only for some time. The strange thing happend aswell when it was original working with a Kenwood HU. On purchase it played for a few months and than it started to have the same problems. It is clear that the issue is not with the HU so there must be another reason for this behaviour.

Somebody has the golden idea?

Eddy

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
Re: loosing connection pached musickeg
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:05:25 am »
could be just my experience but when i had wav or mp3's files on mine, it always shut down or took a long time to boot. or sometimes it would flash "eject" for 5 - 10 mins then start up. Now i convert everything to wma's and its never had a glitch (in the car). Maybe it could be downloaded files with differnt bit rates or whatever confusing the thing, i dont know. but i run my wma convertor over on everything.

Offline asdf

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:20:06 pm »
If you have a loose connection, you should make sure the cable is firmly seated in the connector.  Otherwise, you're liable to lose functionality. 8-)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:26:37 am »
Whether you have MP3 or WMA files shouldn't matter.  I have all MP3s on my Keg, and no issues whatsoever.

If you have a habit of taking the DMS in and out of the Keg (as you may want to in case of very cold temperatures), it can be that you have to disconnect/reconnect to get it going again.  But if you're leaving the DMS in and it's still happening, there's probably a loose connection somewhere.

Be sure to screw the cable all the way down when connecting to the Keg, as asdf wrote.  Assuming you are doing that, then there could a loose connection on the inside of the Keg.  If you can get it out of the car, you can easily open it up and check for yourself.

Also, make sure you have the latest Audi firmware installed.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline eddy123

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 04:35:41 pm »
Sorry for the late reply to my problem as I tried to monitor the issue further. What I noticed is when I switch-on the HU the display provides me CD information, what is normal, but I don't see any disk activity led's on the Keg. When I remove the connector the HU switch to radio and when inserting again everything seems to be OK. During the ride to my work 1.5 hrs everything is fine but when I turn my car engine off and it stays off for several hrs, the same problem occur. When I power off the HU during my ride it always comes back working. It is not a loose connection as the HU works good with the CD changer. The only difference is the jumpercable but don't believe it is not tight, there are locks on both sides. By the way I had the same problem with a Kenwood HU and these were different cables.

I expect some voltage/power or boot issues. Maybe a capacitor is draining or the cable resistance is to high. I'm thinking to install an external 12V connection point to the keg to see what will happen. It can also be the DMS. I will upgrade soon to 80G when that will not solve it I will burn the Keg!

Any more suggestion please!

Ed

Offline ryanmc

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 12:40:15 pm »
i had trouble with the plug itself and it would cause  all sorts of strange problems. the cable was ok but the plug on the keg inside on the pwb had cracked solder . when the pwb was secured with all four screws it put stress on the plug which over time along with the slight stress of the cable being plugged in would cause the solder to crack so i put small washers on the plug posts and only used 2 screws to secure the pwb, resoldered the pins and been working good awhile now....