Author Topic: Interchanging cartriges KHD-C710 & KHD-CX910 ?  (Read 11549 times)

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
Interchanging cartriges KHD-C710 & KHD-CX910 ?
« on: April 18, 2006, 11:04:21 pm »
First off let me say I'm so happy to find this forum! I did a successfull upgrade on my KHD-C710 from the original 10GB to a Toshiba MK1233GAS 120GB!  ;D I'm donating $50.00 to your forum.

Now for my questions:
1.) I have two Kenwood Music Kegs a KHD-C710 and a KHD-CX910. I successfully upgraded the 710. I need to know can I use the same original 10GB drive from the 710 to make another 120GB disk for the 910 (I bought two of the 120GB drives), or do I need to use the original 10GB drive from the 910?

2.) Can I interchange the two DMS cartriges once they are upgraded between the two different Music Kegs? (Reason being my wife and I would like to make cartriges with our favorite songs on each of the two drives and switch them between cars).

3.) Please explain the signature on the drive. Does it "marry" the DMS cartrige to the Music Keg, or does it just validate the drive? Please explain how this works fully. I may be a "newbie" here, however I'm familiar with using hard drive serial numbers to validate software.
If a man made it... A man can hack it...

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Interchanging cartriges KHD-C710 & KHD-CX910 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 11:34:59 pm »
1) Yes any DMS ‘with a genuine signature’ can be used to carry out the hack even if it has been used to hack another box.
     (you will have to run the hack CD process on it again)

2) Yes any ‘hacked’ box can use any hard drive and any un-hacked box can use any genuine drive.

3) There are plenty of more in-depth posts about this but to sum up the boot loader of the Phatbox checks the hard drive serial number against the unique signature to see if they match and therefore a genuine DMS the hack overcomes this check and allows the boot up sequence to continue.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:37:13 pm by timps »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 01:32:46 am »
Actually, you should be able to use the original drive you used to hack the 710 to hack the 910 w/o any modifications, just boot it up the same way...  of course you'd have to put it back in a DMS case ;)

Plugins activated for one box will not work on the other unless also activated for that one...  other than that trickyness you wont have any trouble interchanging cartridges... the systems are functionally identical

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 02:43:50 am »
Thanks guys. I just got home. I drove the car and had a slight problem. When I turned on the Music Keg it said eject. So I pulled out the DMS and reinserted it and it worked fine. When I was leaving from my meeting it did the same thing. Rather than pulling out the DMS I just switched it from Music Keg to radio and back and it worked fine again. Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks again.

Offline timps

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:48:00 am »
I had a few teething problems with my Phatbox after the hack I reinstalled the firmware using the PMM software that came with the box  & this cured it.

I recommended this to someone else with different problems and it worked for  them it does not take long to do & is the first thing I would try.

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:53:04 pm »
If I update the firmware won't that overwrite the hack?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 12:56:30 pm »
I had exactly the same problem after patching my box, and reloading the firmware didn't help  -- it certainly won't hurt either.  (It will NOT overwrite the patch.)

Same thing would happen, on startup it read "eject" and after cycling through the inputs and back it worked fine.  I had only about 20 tracks loaded up on the new 100GB DMS just to test, and on a hunch I just decided to load it up to about 40GB of tracks and see what would happen.  I also decided to abandon Media Manager and use the older Music Manager.  Finally, I also rebuilt the database on the DMS after transferring everything (this is the "fix dms database" button under "hardware options").

I don't know which of those was actually the cure, but since doing that the problem has never recurred.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:57:24 pm by markbowen »
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 02:55:34 pm »
This is mentioned about 10 billion other places but here goes...

the 'firmware' that phatnoise updates is the logic code for the 8051 Complex Programmable Logic Device -- which talks to the head units.   The firmware that the hack changes is on the EEPROM of the keg and is used for the actual 'computer' startup.   The 'computer' in the keg talks to the 8051 over a serial port, so the two firmwares are completely and utterly different.   Phatnoise has NEVER touched the EEPROM's firmware.

Offline timps

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 03:49:16 pm »
If you perform a clean install it might be a better option one box I hacked just needed a firmware update the other needed a clean install using the hack CD to reformat and wipe the drive then reapply the firmware.

Something on the DMS was causing problems a clean install cured it

You do not have to reapply or copy the patch just run the hack CD let it identify the drive

Press ALT+F3.

Repartition/reformat the DMS (fast, no block check)

Restart windows

PMM will identify as a blank DMS

Reinstall firmware  

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:23:25 pm »
We should probably change the Hack CD to do something along those lines to the new DMS by default rather than copying data... and give a backup option of the current method.   Loading fresh firmware seems to be a cleaner method, except that then people have to find it... ;)

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 03:38:28 am »
I'll update the firmware and get back to you guys. Thanks again.

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 03:00:40 am »
Bad news... I reapplied the hack to the Phatbox, recopied the new DMS, updated the firmware, reindexed the database, AND still the same thing  :'( I have to switch to tuner and back to the Phatbox in order for it to work. Still has that annoying EJECT message. H E L P !!!

Offline timps

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 03:35:16 am »
When you said reapplied the hack did you do the full thing?

If so you are back to square one

The hack copies files over from old   to new and sometimes this is the problem.

You have to reformat the dms (with the hack cd) but do not run the hack itself.

If I have misunderstood sorry but you have to wipe all the files transferred to the DMS by the hack and  reapply the firmware to a clean DMS.

This worked for me if you have already done this not sure what to suggest.

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 06:42:37 pm »
timps you are 100% correct!!! ;D It's fixed!!! I just reformatted the drive with the hack cd and reapplied the firmware, and NO MORE EJECT MESSAGE!!! However the instructions in the heavy image post need to be updated to say at the end to reformat and reinstall the firmware. If you read it it says to copy the old data from memory to the new drive and you are done, NOT, you need to add another step which would be to reformat the new drive and reinstall the firmware. Sorry to be such a pain in the butt. Thanks again guys!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 06:45:54 pm by AlwaysCool »

Offline timps

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 07:30:51 pm »
The hack CD copy (without reformat) works for 99% of drives straight off so your one of the unfortunate ones. Originally  it seemed the problem was with the VW box. However the more posts that appear on here with problems all involve Toshiba drives as was mine. Some  VW boxes worked with the CD making me think maybe not the box but the DMS drive.

I have no proof its just a hunch before someone corrects me and as you found out the hack still works it just needs a clean install.

Glad I could help
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 07:36:52 pm by timps »

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 09:39:57 pm »
timps my system(s) are NOT VW. They are both Kenwood. The one I'm hacking now is a KVT-717DVD/WMA/MP3 reciever/7" monitor with a KNA-DV4100 DVD GPS Navigation System and a KHD-C710 Music Keg.

My other system is a KDC-X859 CD/MP3 Receiver with a KHD-CX910 Music Keg, which I am going to hack now. With the knowledge you guys have taught me and my trial and error, it should be smooth sailing!!! :o

Offline timps

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 11:10:49 pm »
timps my system(s) are NOT VW. They are both Kenwood.

Yes but you are using a Toshiba harddrive to upgrade?
Problem was thought to be only a VW one but possibly it’s a Toshiba hardrive one is what i am trying to say.

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:03 pm »
Oh ok I hear ya timps. Well the KHD-CX910 hack went flawlessly. I used another brand new Toshiba MK1233GAS 120GB ATA/100 2.5-in 4200RPM Mobile Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer on the 910. I guess it has something to do with the 710 or my head unit, go figure? But I'm very happy  ;D now that they both work. Thanks again guys and keep up the good work!

Offline timps

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 09:43:01 am »
If you did the clean install method on the second keg without just relying on the hack CD to copy the files it would work straight away.

If not bang goes my theory.

Also not sure whether copying from a Toshiba or writing to one is  the problem pretty rubbish theory anyway  ::)

Offline AlwaysCool

• PhatNoise Tester
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 12:10:11 pm »
All 4 of the drives are toshiba, the 2 original and the 2 new 120 GB. On my 910 I only used the hack cd. I put the original drive in, copied the hack to it, hacked the Music Keg, put the new drive in the cradle, copied the key and the original files to it, stuck it in the music keg, and it worked fine. I don't think it has anything to do with being a toshiba drive, because a hard drive is a hard drive, they all comply with the same interface specs (IDE). By the way, the hack does say "Your system has been unlocked" when the hack is put in the music keg. Also you have to use the hack cd to copy the files, or else how would the "key" or signature file get copied to the new drive?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 12:19:05 pm by AlwaysCool »