Author Topic: Before I take the leap...  (Read 4679 times)

Offline mrblack

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Before I take the leap...
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:03:23 pm »
Ok, before I ultimately tear into my DMS and risk ruining my PB, I want to be 100% certain I am not missing any steps involved in the process of upgrading to a larger sized DMS cartridge.  From what I read in the wiki, there is a manual way to do this and an automatic way using the CD/Floppy available on the site.  Am I missing anything or should this CD take care of everything I need to do to start and complete the upgrade?  As far as I can tell, all I should have to do is download this CD ( http://wiki.phathack.com/DMS_Hack_and_Repair_CD) and follow the steps contained within and it will walk me through every step from beginning to end to hack my PB and upgrade my DMS to make it usable in my unit.  

As I understand, the CD begins its process by backing up important data, and writing some hacked system files to the DMS which when inserted into my PB, automatically cracks the protection that checks the validity of the disk that is inserted.

Will I need to take extra care with any steps involved in this hack since my PB is originally an Audi unit converted to Sony, or should I expect that the reprogramming go exactly as planned?  

After successful reprogramming, I remove the cart from my PB and open it up to replace the old HD with the new and close it back up.  I then finish by following the next steps to automatically format, partition and install all necessary system files onto the disk.  Upon completion of this step my upgraded DMS cartridge should be ready for use.  

And lastly, there was mention of adding any plugins and having the latest version of firmware before you should make any modifications.  Does the upgrading of the DMS cart mean that no further firmware or plugins can be installed into the Phatbox?  If that is the case, what popular plugins are available that don't already come preinstalled for these units.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 08:08:38 pm by mrblack »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Before I take the leap...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 10:36:34 am »
All the answers to your questions are found here on the forums, and you are encouraged to use the search function.  You've already answered some of your own questions.

The hack process is (fairly) clearly laid out, so best for you to go for it and post if you have problems.  There have been some occasional issues with the Audi/VW boxes (do a search), but try and see what happens.  You can NOT ruin your Phatbox.

Firmware can be changed, updated, rolled back ad infinitum after the hack.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS