Author Topic: VW phatbox - comparable features with other code?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline bman

• PhatHacker
VW phatbox - comparable features with other code?
« on: May 19, 2006, 11:33:40 am »
Hi all,

I want to use my VW phatbox in my honda pilot, so I would like to convert it to either a kenwood, sony or m-bus.  Do all 3 of these firmware images support the voice prompts the same way that the VW image does?  Is there a document somewhere that compares the features of each (I looked everywhere and couldn't find a comparison)?

I want to pick the interface converter that I use based on the firmware that will be closest in funtionality to the VW image (or with more funtionality  ;))

Thanks!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: VW phatbox - comparable features with other co
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:34:09 pm »
Do you mean to use it with the stock head unit in your Honda, or are you thinking to put a Kenwood or Sony in the Honda?

All PBs support basically the same features.  The Honda and Sony both support voice indexing out of the box.  Kenwood does as well but you have to upgrade to VOIT.

If you are thinking to change the head unit, Kenwood is the way to go, because there is no question of compatibility even with the newest models.  The others are hit or miss.  You need to source the Kenwood cable, but that should be easier than trying to source a Honda or Sony cable.  

Kenwood also has the advantage in that their HUs display ID3 tags.  Much nicer to see "Rolling Stones - Satisfaction" scroll across the screen than "Track 01."
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline bman

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 04:55:15 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the info.  I was worried about the Sony firmware because I thought I read somewhere that it didn't support the vioce prompts - just text.  I would like to integrate to the factory head unit - I have the rear DVD player, so I really can't change it out due to how the DVD is integrated with the head unit.  The HU has an XM radio which I supposedly can unplug and use as a CD changer input/output.

I was hoping to go with a PIE or similar honda to sony/kenwood changer converter.  If I can't find a converter that would work, I would go with the kenwood rf modulator through the console aux inputs.  Obviously I would prefer the converter route...

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 06:19:29 pm »
I think people who have gone the converter route have had problems.  I don't know enough about it, but others on the forum might.  The RF modulator should work.  

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 07:18:50 am »
Sony has no voice prompts

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 07:26:31 pm »
Sony has no voice prompts
Sorry, right, my bad.  I did see one posting on here from someone saying he had them working on his Sony.  No voice prompts on Sony.  You would have voice prompts with a Honda PB, but I'm still not sure if you can just convert a VW easily to a Honda.  You definitely can convert it to a Kenwood.

Offline az1324

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 11:13:46 pm »
Nope cant convert it directly to honda

Offline bman

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 08:05:07 pm »
I will probably go with the kenwood RF modulator (maybe soldered into the console aux input) and kenwood phatbox cable unless anyone has any better suggestions...

Thanks for all of your input!

Offline az1324

Offline bman

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 04:19:45 pm »
I just sent a tech support request to PIE to see if this combo will work.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline bman

• PhatHacker
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 04:41:24 pm »
Bad news - I just got a response from PIE saying that the rear DVD will interfere with the HON03/PC-KNN interface.  I'm not sure why that would be the case, since it would be plugged into the XM input on the head unit.  They say the only option is a X3-HON03 to use as an aux input.  

Has anyone tried a PIE interface for Kenwood (or other) in a Pilot with rear DVD?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 07:53:08 pm »
I tried to buy the HON03/PC-KNN interface and PIE told me thewy don't really make it... if anybody manages to get them to admit to doing so PLEASE BUY ME ONE -- I'll pay for it and shipping...

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 07:54:21 pm »
Oh and there's only one input on the head unit -- which is why it would interfere... XM radio can't be installed at the same time either