Author Topic: BMW DSP cars with Phatbox  (Read 7466 times)

Offline kbsilver

• PhatHacker
BMW DSP cars with Phatbox
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:11:33 pm »
Does anyone have (successful) experience in installing a Phatbox (that was not originally configured for) in a DSP equipped BMW.  I believe Phatnoise acutally makes their own Analog/Digial converter.  However Blitzsafe has their own version which seems easier to use.   It looks pretty straight foward except for the issue of changing signaling voltage (12 to 5v) which iI know s needed in the Non DSP version adapters.  I do not have a Blitzsafe DSP adapter in my hand and do not want to buy one if it will not work (their expensive).  Any help/insight appreciated.

Thanks!!

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: BMW DSP cars with Phatbox
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:38:34 am »
Does anyone have (successful) experience in installing a Phatbox (that was not originally configured for) in a DSP equipped BMW.  I believe Phatnoise acutally makes their own Analog/Digial converter.  However Blitzsafe has their own version which seems easier to use.   It looks pretty straight foward except for the issue of changing signaling voltage (12 to 5v) which iI know s needed in the Non DSP version adapters.  I do not have a Blitzsafe DSP adapter in my hand and do not want to buy one if it will not work (their expensive).  Any help/insight appreciated.

I believe the PhatNoise DSP adapter is a Radio Shack adapter, though it may no longer be manufactured. The main issue you'll have with one of the "cheap" PhatBox units is that the VW/Audi versions don't bring out the audio on RCA jacks as the BMW, etc. units do. You'll need to pull those signals off the main connector (not a problem if you're making your own audio cable).

I have no experience with the Blitzsafe DSP adapter, so can't help there.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 07:17:20 pm »
Or, if you're really feeling frisky... you can solder on RCA plugs to the VW box ;) --- the pads are there, there's just no hole in the case and no connectors solder'd to them

Offline kbsilver

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 12:37:43 am »
My plan is to use the complete Blitzsafe Alpine DSP solution which has 2 parts. One is the A/D converter (which may be a repackaged Radio Shack).  The other part has the 8 pin Alpine DIN connector that connects to the Phatbox (and I-Bus) and brings out the Audio onto 2 RCA cables. I just assumed (hopefully not a mistake), this would take care of the fact there are no RCA audio outputs on the Audi Phatbox.

This same devlice also supplies 9 volts to the A/D converter.  My big question is, I know for the Non-DSP versions of the adapter you need to switch from 12V to 5V (control signal I believe) as Alpine uses 12V and Phatbox uses 5V.  My next assumption is this same voltage changing option exists on the DSP version, and that it does on impact the 9V supply to the A/D.

I know this is not exactly the solution supplied directly by Phatnoise, but think it should do the job. The Phatnoise solution picks up the audio and the 9V directly from the Phatbox.

Offline gbradley

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:30 pm »
This past weekend, I finished (successfully) installing a BMW Phatbox in a car with the DSP sound system.

The Phatbox, I bought used on Ebay. It came with a Blitzsafe adapter that converts the power and audio signal cables for the BMW sound system to the DIN connector coming off the back of the Phatbox. For the DSP sound system, you only need to connect the smaller 3(?) pin connector for power and changer control. The audio signal cable is not used.

Phatnoise sells the DSP adapter kit that includes what you need for hooking up to a DSP system but I found it to be a bit pricey for what you get. Basically, it includes a Radio Shack analog-to-digital converter (RS Part# 15-1242) and a couple of cables; one to connect to the coaxial digital input on the DSP amp and the other to pull power off the round connector on the Phatbox which powers the A/D converter.

For $30, I bought the A/D converter and for another $10 in parts, was able to build the cables I need. The DSP amp has on it what I've seen called a 'Mini Coax' or 'MCX' connector. (not 100% sure as to the exact term, though) Power for the A/D converter is drawn from the top two pins on the round connector at the back of the Phatbox. I had to improvise a bit to plug into this connector, using the plug from the wall wart that came with the A/D converter. The converter is listed as running on a 9v power supply, but seems to be happy with the 12 volts coming off the back of the Phatbox.

Right now, I have it mounted in the side compartment of the trunk where the OEM CD changer would normally reside and it's been working fine.

Offline phasolutions.com

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:01:25 am »
Jut came across this thread which has useful info. :)

Does anyone know what the connector end is on the 50 ohm cable connected to the BMW DSP Amplifier as depicted in this drawing

http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/DSPkit_Instructions.pdf

or in the picture?
http://www.phatnoise.com/products/accessories/dsp.aspx

I'm going to to try to retrofit a VW box into a BMW with DSP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:22:55 am »
I'm going to to try to retrofit a VW box into a BMW with DSP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the answer I sent you when you asked me via email:

The official Phatnoise solution was a Radio Shack analog-to-SPDIF adapter. That box had 2 RCA plugs and a power plug which plugged into jacks on the BMW version of the Phatbox. Not all of the other flavors of Phatbox / Keg have those connectors. Their instructions are still available, although the Radio Shack adapter is not:
http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/DSPkit_Instructions.pdf
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/1501242_PM_EN.pdf

I don't see why a Blitzsafe BMW / ALP DMX V.1 DSP wouldn't work (with the same 12 -> 5 modification as the non-DSP version), though I have not tried it:
http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/bmw/bmw-/-alp-dmx-v-1-dsp/prod_125.html

Note that just because a BMW has DSP, that doesn't necessarily mean that it ignores the analog audio. Try it without a DSP adapter and see if it works before using the DSP adapter.