Author Topic: Slow startup after patch  (Read 8472 times)

Offline Bas

• PhatHacker
Slow startup after patch
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:25:39 am »
Hello,

I've patched my VW phatbox (with BMW firmware) according to the instructions on this board. All went fine. I've got the message "System has been patched" etc. But when I turn the radio on it takes more than 2 times the time that was needed before the patch (normally around 12 seconds, now more than 30). Also the first time I inserted the cartridge the radio keeps saying (1-00) and then switches to 1-01 to go back to 1-00 within a second. The only way I got out of there was to press the "Setup button" (disc 6) to get it out of there.

The box works ok, but the long startup time is annoying.

Anyone had something similar ?

Greetings,

Bas

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Slow startup after patch
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:20:31 pm »
i would suggest that you load the firmware on the drive again after running a chkdsk on PHTSYS ... remove the forceupdate file in PHTSYS after updating the firmware but before ejecting the disk.  you don't need to have the phatbox updated just the files on the disk drive.

Offline Bas

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:45:56 pm »
I've chkdsk'd it multiple times in Linux and Windows. Can I use the non-original DMS to load the firmware ?
Do I use the PMM to update the firmware ?

Thanks In advance

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:12:10 pm »
Yes, use PMM to load the BMW firmware onto the new (non-original) DMS.  Delete the forceupdate file as judb wrote.

Also, try to transfer at least a few GBs of music onto the drive before you try it again.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Bas

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:46:00 pm »
Maybe I forgot to mention that the VW box ran perfectly with the 20GB DMS with BMW firmware for more than 8 months, Is it still worth trying to reflash the box ?

Greetings,

Bas

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 06:39:10 am »
Maybe I forgot to mention that the VW box ran perfectly with the 20GB DMS with BMW firmware for more than 8 months, Is it still worth trying to reflash the box ?

Greetings,

Bas

Reloading the firmware onto the DMS as described will not reflash the box.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Bas

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 10:25:22 pm »
I've reinstalled the firmware as descibed. Now its working consequent (not crashing), but it's still slow at bootup (around 30 sec). In my other BMW (3series) it starts up in 14 seconds.

Anyone checked their startup times ?