Author Topic: Phat Box to KEG conversion  (Read 3247 times)

Offline ejbommer

• PhatHacker
Phat Box to KEG conversion
« on: August 02, 2006, 08:26:12 pm »
I have read several times that a Phat Box can be converted to a KEG.  Is there a link or a document that takes you step by step through the process of updating the DMS cartridge.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Phat Box to KEG conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 11:18:05 pm »
I don't know if it is covered on the Wiki or not.

It is simple.  Get a keg cable or make one yourself. (pin outs are on the wiki.phathack.com site)
download the keg firmware files via PMM or from downloads.phathack.com.
extract the files into phtsys and overwrite the files that are there.  or before you start this process delete all the files in phtsys if you rather.
(note if you extract the files manually you stil need to go into PMM and select the device type as a Keg and eject the DMS so it sets the right things in the phatbox.ini file)
put the DMS into your phatbox and let the firmware update run (can take 5 minutes or so)... you should see lights flashing on the box till it shuts off and boots back up with the new loaded firmware.

Think that is about it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 11:18:31 pm by judb »

Offline impossible

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 06:55:07 pm »
What reason whould you want to do this? Do you gain any features?

Is it just so it could be used with a kenwood headunit?

Imp

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 03:17:25 pm »
SSA on the kenwood kegs works differently, and the kenwood units have some nice text display instead of many of the factory models where you don't get that so I see that as a plus.

If you want to run a new system in your card (amps speaker etc) kenwood is the way to go to keep using the keg.