Author Topic: Strange clicking noise  (Read 4685 times)

Offline Wrax

• PhatHacker
Strange clicking noise
« on: August 10, 2006, 11:13:50 am »
Hi All

Just joined here after installing a Phatbox in my Audi A4.

My first problem is a strange clicking noise. What may be causing this? Its only audiable when the phatbox is in use.. ie. not when using the HU on its own. Is there a short somewhere or could poor earthing cause this?

cheers

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Strange clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:40:07 pm »
Hi,

It could be related to electrical noise in the power or ground feed to the box.  Does it make any difference if the engine is running or not?  What kind of frequency is the clicking?  Is it regular or does it vary?  Does any other activity make it come or go, or change?

Offline Wrax

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 03:23:36 pm »
I dont think having the engine running made a difference (will double check when I leave work). It is a constant fast tick (like someone tapping a nail on a desk at a fast frequency).. so yes its regular and I cant say I noticed anything changing that rate. I think it does stop though when you are using the Phatbox menu system.. eg. changing from by album to artist for example.

I will try and give a better update after my drive home tonight.

Cheers

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:30:03 pm »
Hi Wrax :)

Also see if the green light on the Phatbox lighting up coincides with the ticking.

Offline Wrax

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:40 pm »
Hi Timps,

:D Nice to see you!!! Funny how many of the same people turn up on different forums.

I will check that too as I wend my way back to my car and then home.

Cheers

Offline Wrax

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 10:07:06 pm »
OK... so here we go

The clicking noise is constant rate no matter what I do in the car.. extensive testing on route to Tesco... lights, wipers.. anything.. nothing change dthe rate. The Green LED was not flashing at the same rate as the clicking... just what I would expect from a hard drive read. Engine on or off makes no difference...

So then I park up... do some shopping and drive out from Tesco listening to a CD (no clicking).. almost decide not to have a play with the Phatbox again... but do anyway... NO clicking!!!!!!! Turned it on off etc etc still no clicking.. Even went back out to the garage tonight to double triple check... NO clicking!!!! So there you have it folks... if you have strange noises from your box... take a trip to Tesco... every little helps!!!!

Seriously I have no idea what is different and I just have that feeling when I get back in the car tomorrow morning the click will be back!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 02:04:20 am »
is the click coming from the phatbox itself or from the speakers?

Offline Wrax

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 07:52:08 am »
It was from the speakers.

But I can report its still seems to be gone  :)