Author Topic: Your input please  (Read 5259 times)

Offline NE_Passatn

• PhatHacker
Your input please
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:30:10 pm »
So I've been browsing around off and on for the past couple weeks, getting the jest of everything here. I bought a PB w/ a bad cartridge, it had water damage. I'm pretty sure the PB itself is still good. From what i'm gathering you can't hack a new PB cartridge w/out having a good one on hand already correct? Well there is a post on passatworld in which someone said they got it to work w/out a good cartridge on hand, his post is below. Do you think this is possible, or is it not even worth my time? Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse and thanks for the help

I've has similar problems with my phatbox DMS cartrige not being recognized by my computer. Here's what I did:

I opened up the DMS cartrige, as stated earlier, you'll find a notebook harddrive (HD) and a connector from the 44 pin IDE to thier connector that they use for both the in car and desktop USB dock. My assumption based on limited experience is that the connector will be fine since it requires no power to be used. Your HD is bad. Buy two things from www.newegg.com they have the best deals on anything DIY computer: 1) buy a new notebook HD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16822152501), and 2) buy a 44 pin IDE to 40 pin IDE adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812203012) You can get the same things from your local CompUSA as well.
Bring it home, open your computer up, plug in your new HD to the adapter and then plug that to an open slot on your computer IDE cable (while the PC is off.) Make sure the new HD is a slave (see sticker on the front of the HD).
Turn the PC on; if your PC is smart, it will recognize the new hardware and run a happy little tutorial, if not; hit My Computer and you will see the new hard drive as a lettered drive. (not C: or A: probably in the G: to Z: range.) Format the drive using the disk tools (right click), and partition the drive with the correct drive sizes & descriptions via Phatbox instructions.
Almost done, then go to the Phatbox website, find downloads and download the new firmware for your model car/stereo. You can do what you want from here with the exception of removing the drive when they instruct you so:
Turn off PC, remove HD, remove adapter, plug in DMS connector & cartrige to USB dock and whamo you're a go.
Should work. I did that to mine and I've been good. Don't be afraid, the worst that could happen is that you have to take back the HD to CompUSA and you still don't have a Phatbox.

Offline zero cool

• Getting the hang of things.
  • PhatHacker
Re: Your input please
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:46:36 am »
This doesnt work. there is a drive signature on the first section of the drive and without that sig, you got nothin! Drive copy doesnt work as it doesnt put things in the exact same space etc.

No ifs ands or buts, you need a good DMS to do the hack.

P.S. if your DMS had water damaged, make sure to open up the PB and check very carefully for green corrosion around parts. even if it still works, if it had the green fuzz, it wont stay working for long. I just opened a dea PB and green fuzzy gooie crap everywhere. its toast!

Zc

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:46:48 am »
Only other way is if you get a working serial port you can hack it over the serial port.

READ:  You need a working DMS to do the hack.  Find a friend with one.

Offline NE_Passatn

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 03:13:10 pm »
thanks guys... i went ahead and ordered a new cartridge 20g, $190  :o , so if i come close to filling that up i'll look into putting a bigger HD in.. Thanks for the input...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 08:35:39 pm »
I strongly suggest you hack the phatbox as soon as you get the new drive.. you just can skip the new DMS creation.. this will allow you to use a new drive down the road if your official phatbox dms dies.

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 09:09:00 am »
and then you can sell the cartridge you bought on ebay