Author Topic: My DMS cartridge itīs not working, please help!!!  (Read 12904 times)

Offline mosquito

• PhatHacker
My DMS cartridge itīs not working, please help!!!
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:52:57 pm »
My Cartridge fell on the ground and now itīs not working DAMM IT!!!  itīs making  a weird clicking noise when inserted into the docking unit, (sounds like the Hard Drive skipping) and canīt get any response out of it, how can I switch the HD, thank you for the help guys... :-[
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:59:21 pm by mosquito »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: My DMS cartridge itīs not working, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 07:12:32 pm »
Hi - Sorry to hear about your damaged DMS.

I assume that your Phatbox has not been hacked...?  If not, then you need to borrow a good DMS from someone in order to hack it before you can use a non-origninal hard disk in your box.  

This thread has some info on this....

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1147032876 - and follow the links.

If your box was already hacked then you should be able to set up a new laptop drive using the hack and repair CD...

http://wiki.phathack.com/DMS_Hack_and_Repair_CD

Offline mosquito

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 05:29:40 am »
Thank you for the info, unfortunately my Phatbox isn’t hacked; I will need a good DMS to this?? Where can I get one? I don’t know anyone else with a Phatbox, I live in Pembroke Pines Florida, anybody here willing to help me please...... :-/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:32:11 am by mosquito »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:30:44 am »
I will need a good DMS to this?? Where can I get one?

Yes - you can't easily hack the box without a good original DMS.

One option would be to keep an eye open on Ebay - you can sometimes pick up old low capacity DMS cartridges quite cheaply.  Once the Phatbox is hacked, then you can change to a larger drive (a standard parallel ATA laptop drive from a PC parts supplier).

Also, try posting a message in the Buy/Sell part of the forum - or look for others selling...

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=buysell
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:31:45 am by S80_UK »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:39:59 pm »
It's not likely, but you could possibly get your current hard drive to work again.  The clicking sound is caused by the drive heads being stuck as a result of the drop to the ground.  Sometimes, another good whack can get them unstuck.  You'd want to take it out of the DMS casing and give it a good whack or two in the palm of your hand.  This is hardly an "approved repair method" but it can work in some cases, at least temporarily.

It would be easiest to test if you have an external laptop drive enclosure, rather than using the DMS cartridge and cradle.  If the hard drive is recognized, obviously you would want to run scandisk to check for errors, including a surface scan.

If you have to buy a new DMS, some sellers on eBay are selling 20GB DMS cartridges for more than a $100.  If it comes to that, just spend $150 or so and get a completely NEW Audi/VW Phatbox package, which includes a 20GB DMS, USB 2 cradle and a backup Phatbox in case yours should ever fail.  Otherwise, you might have luck finding someone selling a 10GB DMS, just don't pay more than $50 for that.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 10:14:42 pm »
Your only option to hack it without a working cartridge requires you to be confortable with soldering, and have a linux system to connect it to via serial port.   IE.  Find yourself a DMS.   If you want to ship it to me in hawaii and pay the shipping back... I could hack it for you, but that probably would not be cost effective.

Offline mosquito

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 10:59:39 pm »
Thank you guys for all your input, it's been really helpful, after reading all the info I think I can manage to hack my Phatbox, the only problem is... I got no DMS!!!  I'm asking everyone I know to find who else have a Phatbox and no luck, I checked eBay and there's none for sale, please anyone in south Florida? I'm starting to get desperate, radio stations sucks!!!! >:(
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 11:00:16 pm by mosquito »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.

Offline mosquito

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 02:13:41 pm »
Thank you all for your help!!!!  ;D