Author Topic: Choosing a Drive - Recommendations  (Read 6254 times)

Offline WebSurfinMurf

• PhatHacker
Choosing a Drive - Recommendations
« on: December 29, 2006, 05:22:01 am »
I'm trying to decide what hard drive to purchase to replace my 20GB DMS cartridge.
I have a regular "PhatBox" for BMW 323CI year 2000.

I'm looking to buy a hard drive, my criteria order

1) It works with minimal pain.  Hacking is fun, until it goes to awry
2) Can work in more extreme situations.  Better Shock handling, lower temperatures, etc.
3) Bigger is better.....with price in mind

I looked on the Forums, and various HD where mentioned in different contexts.  I didn't see a post (if I missed it, please correct me) directly addressing HD and recommendations.

After looking around, this 120GB HD caught my eye.  Specifically since its only 85 bucks currently, and it lists better handling under vibrations.  But its a WD hard drive, and I had bad experiences with WD on PC. Most other recommendations I saw on the board was Seagate or Toshiba.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136008

So tell me what HD you recommend and why?  I couldn't find any HD that operated under colder conditions of 41 F, if I could find one that operated lower, it definately would be a plus.  My PhatBox basically becomes useless 2 months of the year currently.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Choosing a Drive - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:19:31 am »
I've been very happy with my WD Scorpio 80GB - I have been running it for just over a year so far, and it has never failed to start up (including a few mornings when I have had to scrape the ice off the windows (but we don't go much below freezing here at any time).

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 08:06:30 am »
I use a Hitachi 100GB Travelstar, and it has never failed even on many sub-freezing mornings.  I believe Toshiba is the Phatnoise drive of choice, at least they were in both DMS cartridges that I own.  WD can be very good, but it's hit and miss.  I don't know about the notebook drives, but I have had three WD desktop drives fail on me.  Regardless of which brand, if you want size then any 120GB is still the best size/price deal.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline WebSurfinMurf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 08:24:14 pm »
I didn't see any Hitachi at 120GB, best I could find was 100GB.
I HATE to not get the extra 20GB...any other comments from the community?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145092

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:55:59 am »
You could always go for the 160GB :)

Offline WebSurfinMurf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:24:53 pm »
I was trying to keep the cost low.   But hey, I spend 100 bucks on a dinner for two, and 200 if in NYC!
So if I go for the 160GB, is this "the one" to get?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145113

Anyone have experience with drive operations below 40 degrees F ?  
Under bumpy conditions?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 03:41:01 pm »
No, that is NOT the drive to go for, as that is a SATA drive.  If you are sticking with Newegg (and why not), the 160GB drives to go for are either the Samsung (cheaper) or the Seagate (not necessarily better).  I don't know about Samsung laptop drives, but I have two of their desktop drives, and they are quite good.

If performance in winter is a big concern, I would suggest relocating your Phatbox install inside the car's cabin if you have not already.  I have mine under the passenger seat, so even if it is extra cold, once the car's heat kicks in it's good to go.  If yours is installed in the trunk of the car, it may never get warm enough to operate.  As for bumpy roads, any hard drive will provide some shock protection.  I am driving in Bosnia, where the roads are in pretty bad condition, and it's never been an issue.  Unless you are planning to off-road, I would not worry about it.

Offline WebSurfinMurf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 03:25:33 am »
Unless someone out there can give me better advice, I'll try the Samsung:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152051

I thought I read in the forums, that if you get a drive other than hitatchi, the clam shell case may not line up exactly.
That didn't make sense to me, since, I figure all the drive have a standard template for laptops.

In any event, any other comments about drives out there?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 11:43:57 am »
I thought I read in the forums, that if you get a drive other than hitatchi, the clam shell case may not line up exactly.  That didn't make sense to me, since, I figure all the drive have a standard template for laptops.

No, there is a rubber bit that goes on the end of the drive, which fits the stock (Toshiba) drives just right, but a bit awkwardly on Hitachi drives.  Still, any laptop drive will fit the DMS, some better than others.

Offline WebSurfinMurf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 04:56:41 pm »
160GB for 125 bucks.  Pretty sweet.

Hitachi Travelstar with ATA-6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146200

markbowen, thanks for your patience and correcting me on my stupidity, and preventing me from buying a hard drive that would not work. :)