Author Topic: Bit of a stupid question....  (Read 4810 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Bit of a stupid question....
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:34:33 pm »
I've bought all the components to create a new DMS cartridge with a 60gb drive in, and successfully built it.

I've run the hack util. on the original DMS and it's formatted the new DMS cartridge [through VMWare].

Can I start using the PMM software to backup the media from the old cartridge onto the new cartridge straight away without having updated the Keg/Phatbox itself?  Or should I wait until I've updated that before transferring media?

Thought I'd check before I go ahead and load up the new cartridge in case it screws anything up!

Also, if I copy the contents of the data partition from the old to the new DMS, will I essentially have everything ready to play once the Keg/Phatbox update has been done?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 01:10:59 pm by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Bit of a stupid question....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:18:02 pm »
yes you can copy phtdta from one drive to the other drive and it should work on the new DMS, i think.

the hack will not damage your original DMS in any way.. although if the hack stops part way you may have to make some minor modifications to the filesystem of the original DMS that are easy to undo.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:24:59 am »
I can verify what judb said -- you can copy PHTSYS or PHTDTA to a new drive and it will behave the same as it did on the first drive.   The only exception is if the new drive is >120GB you need the custom "linux" file on the large drive.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:10:56 pm »
Ah cool.  When do I do this tho?

I've updated the Keg and everytime I startup [using the old DMS] I get the audible message about removing the DMS to complete the update. I've not done anything with the new DMS yet.  Do I need to startup using the new DMS to complete the update, and then copy over the PHTDATA partition onto the new DMS?  Or does it not matter?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:55:54 pm »
if you fix the profile.ini file it should fix the startup sound which causes the hack to be run each time the box starts up.. just restore your old one and the old DMS will work fine.  You can move your audio over when ever you want to.