Author Topic: My DMS cartridge isn't being detected in car/ comp  (Read 15061 times)

Offline Banamexdf

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
My DMS cartridge isn't being detected in car/ comp
« on: January 16, 2007, 05:25:25 am »
Hello,

I installed the phatnoise software (the latest one off the website) rather than install the the one (ver. 1.87) from the disk that came with the phatbox.I tried loading new songs on to my phatbox cartridge today and while I created a new playlist, put in the new songs (it was just a few), and had it "save and eject." While it was saving and preparing to eject, it somehow crashed, I got an error, and I pulled out the cartridge before the screen pops that says, "it is now safe to take out your cartridge." I seem to have lost all my playlists and songs off the cartridge and when I tried it in my car to see if it would pick anything up, it didn't reconize it. I later tried plugging it to my computer to see if I could make some new playlists and it wouldn't reconize it. I tried installing the old version software and tried on another computer and same thing, "no DMS cartridge found." I tried looking for a firmware update and found nothing. I have the 2.0 cradle and have a 20gb cartridge. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 07:23:32 am by sbingner »

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
Re: My DNS cartridge isn't being detected in car/
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:19 am »
Ok, reading another thread, this sounds familiar:

"Now I want to load up the 20gb dms but the problem I"m running into is halfway through PMM (2.3) tells me it can't find a file and the whole process crashes. Sometimes it tells me that "an unamed file has not been found"???"

I think this is what happened to me. I got an error and everything crashed.

Help please, I can't live without my phatbox  :-[ :'(

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: My DMS cartridge isn't being detected in car/
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 06:35:50 pm »
First thing, try running a chkdsk with automatically repair enabled on both phtsys and phtdta
then, try PMM again.

if that fails, remove the files in the root of phtsys and reload your firmware either via PMM or by hand (theres plenty of threads on that.)  then remove the forceupdate and forcesettings files from phtsys and try it again.  if that fails, rename the profiles folder on phtdta and try pmm again.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:38:04 pm »
First thing, try running a chkdsk with automatically repair enabled on both phtsys and phtdta
then, try PMM again.

if that fails, remove the files in the root of phtsys and reload your firmware either via PMM or by hand (theres plenty of threads on that.)  then remove the forceupdate and forcesettings files from phtsys and try it again.  if that fails, rename the profiles folder on phtdta and try pmm again.

Ok, how do I run chkdsk and where can I download the firmware?

Thanks, I'm a noob with this.

~ Also, if my hard drive were shot, would my computer still be recognizing it as a hard drive? The computer picks it up as a 20gb drive fine, it's just the PMM isn't recognizing it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 07:56:27 pm by Banamexdf »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:09:41 pm »
the drive can be corrupted and repaired...

chkdsk can be run from the command prompt. (found under Start Menu, Programs, Accessories)
type in:
chkdsk /f d:
where d: is your phtsys partition
then do it again with d: replaced with the phtdta partition

the firmware can ge downloaded within PMM or from http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:08:41 pm »
Ok, I tried the chkdsk two ways:

First, I put "chkdsk" into the cmd prompt and it did a scan on something that said:

The type of file system is NTFS.

Warning! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read mode only

CHKDSK is varifying files <Stage 1 of 3>

ect...

When I entered "chkdsk /f d:" into the cmd, it said, "The type of file system is NTFS. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process." Ect...

I downloaded all the updated files from the database from this website (for volkswagen) and dumped them all into "PHTSYS (I:)" I replaced the old files with them and still nothing.

I have two drives that show up on my computer. One is PHTSYS (I:) and the other is "Local Disk (J:). When I try accessing "Local Disk (J:)," it says, "The disk in drive J is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Thanks for you help.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 10:15:12 pm »
Here is a screenshot of the "PHTSYS (I:)" if it helps...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:17:42 pm by Banamexdf »

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:37 pm »
Ok, since D is another one of my HD's, I put, "chkdsk /f J:" into the cmd and it closed out really quick. Then I typed, "chkdsk /f I:" and it took a little longer (seemed like it was doing something) and it closed itself. I tried opening the PMM to see if it would now work and no good. Still same problem.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:29:28 pm by Banamexdf »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 11:31:50 pm »
well, you should be able to run a chkdsk on your PHTSYS drive, try disabling virusscan, making sure you have no explorer windows open to the phtsys drive and that PMM is closed before you do it.

also since the J drive should be the PHTDTA drive it looks like that drive need to be resetup.. there is a Boot CD that should be able to do that for you.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:55:19 pm »
well, you should be able to run a chkdsk on your PHTSYS drive, try disabling virusscan, making sure you have no explorer windows open to the phtsys drive and that PMM is closed before you do it.

also since the J drive should be the PHTDTA drive it looks like that drive need to be resetup.. there is a Boot CD that should be able to do that for you.

Ok, I disabled PMM (it was running) and it scanned both drives very quickly. I disconnected the drive, connected it again, started PMM, and still didn't work.

I remember seeing both drives show up as "PHTDTA" and "PHTSYS" rather than "PHTSYS" and "Local Disk (J: )"

Where can I find these boot cd's and how do I run them for it to change the drive? I'm pretty sure this might be the problem.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:56:27 pm by Banamexdf »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:36:13 am »
first thing to try instead of doing the boot CD would be to try from within My Computer, right click on the J: where it says Local Computer and select Rename from the list.

Put PHTDTA in uppercase letters and hit enter.  Try it that way first.

if that no worky for you, I'd say download the hack and repair CD listed in the DMS hacks forum and go through the Repartition and Reformat section...  (this will remove all your files from the DMS so be warned)

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 04:02:00 am »
first thing to try instead of doing the boot CD would be to try from within My Computer, right click on the J: where it says Local Computer and select Rename from the list.

Put PHTDTA in uppercase letters and hit enter.  Try it that way first.

if that no worky for you, I'd say download the hack and repair CD listed in the DMS hacks forum and go through the Repartition and Reformat section...  (this will remove all your files from the DMS so be warned)

Ok, I tried to rename the drive and can't because it's "not formated."

I'll try the repair in a bit and let you know, thanks.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 04:12:23 am »
Ok, I'm looking at this thread then: http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1122424315

Is this what I should be looking at for the boot cd's? It says that it should be used with a working DMS with the PHTDTA disk. If my PHTDTA isn't working properly, how can I do this?

Should I try reformatting the drive? The options for the reformatting are:

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 04:39:04 am »
you must reformat using FAT32.  Stick with the defaults and check quick format.
Make sure the volume labels are PHTSYS and PHTDTA

the CD from that thread is discussing the HACKING portions.. there are other options that are stock from the phatnoise repair CD that we based our CD off of.  It does DMS hacking as well as DMS Repairs.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 04:55:52 am »
judb, you are a god my friend. I did the formating, renamed the drive, and it works now.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH DUDE. You saved me $$$ because I was about to buy a new one.

I'll do the hack incase I ever run into a problem in the future.

Thanks again, you are a life saver.  ;) 8-)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 05:15:45 am »
You are quite welcome.  I strongly suggest that now you have it working, rerun the chkdsk on it but do it this way
chkdsk /f /r d:
where d is each drive letter, so run it for PHTSYS and PHTDTA ..
the /r option tells it to scan the physical media for bad sectors.  It would be a good idea to do this at least once to make sure the drive is working properly.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 05:21:50 am »
Will do. Thanks a lot  :)

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 07:03:22 pm »
Ok, the DMS is being picked up fine on the computer and I spent an hour dumping music onto it. I go to plug it into the car this morning forgetting that I updated the firmware and the head unit isn't picking up the phatbox. I waited up to a minute for the phatbox to update itself before turning on the head unit and all I get when I put the DMS into the phatbox is the red light stays on and the green light blinks continuously. It doesn't stop after a while. I tried putting back the old PHTSYS files (I backed them up before changing the files) and still the same thing. I then put in the updated files and tried it but nothing. Anything I can do?

Should my PHTDTA look like this?:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 07:15:32 pm by Banamexdf »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 07:22:05 pm »
The phtdta looks okay, im more concerned with the phtsys directory..

Also, the firmware update (phatnoise firmware, not our flash hack) takes 3 to 5 minutes to complete

when you say the green light blinks, does it blink at a steady rate or does it change in duration of the blinks and the pauses between them?  sometimes error codes are generated via those blinks.

Offline Banamexdf

• PhatHacker
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 07:59:43 pm »
The phtdta looks okay, im more concerned with the phtsys directory..

Also, the firmware update (phatnoise firmware, not our flash hack) takes 3 to 5 minutes to complete

when you say the green light blinks, does it blink at a steady rate or does it change in duration of the blinks and the pauses between them?  sometimes error codes are generated via those blinks.

The green light blinks at a steady rate (doesn't change the way it blinks.) Is this good or bad? I used the firmware from the download section of the site:

Do I want to download and just dump all the files into the PHTSYS? (Head unit files, Dameon files, player files, and system files?) Do I just extract them straight into the PHTSYS? That's what I've been doing.

`
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 08:00:45 pm by Banamexdf »