Author Topic: Instructions for creating a new drive  (Read 10410 times)

Offline penfold99

Instructions for creating a new drive
« on: December 12, 2007, 03:03:52 am »
You may remember a prev. post about my cradle and 40G drive killing each other...I now have a cradle and orig 10G drive (thank you ebay!) but I want to create a new drive with a 100G drive I have. I have the hacking tool, but would like some instructions as I don't think I want to hack my box, only want to fool it into accepting the new non-original drive. I have a Kenwood HU and Kenwood 910 Keg I know this gets covered in a lot of posts in pieces. Is there a document or a post in a thread that describes the procedure from the beginning to end?
Thanks for all the help so far...
Dave
Atlanta, GA
Kenwood HU & 910

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Instructions for creating a new drive
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:04:52 am »
You say you read things, but you must not be very well versed in the practice.  You can't replace your drive unless you hack the PhatBox.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:12:45 pm »
Hi Dave, welcome to PhatHack!

You can't fool the box into taking a new drive without the box being hacked first.

Essentially the procedure is:

'Customise' the box using the original PhatNoise DMS.
Swap out the drive
Create the new partitions
Load the firmware

....all of which is easily achieved using the tools that I wrote.  I've hacked two Kenwood Kegs using the tools now, so you shouldn't need to worry about anything.

The tools have full documentation, but if there is something that you don't understand then let us know.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline penfold99

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 03:50:55 pm »
You say you read things, but you must not be very well versed in the practice.  You can't replace your drive unless you hack the PhatBox.

Not very helpful thanks...
I misspoke, I guess what I meant was that I am not trying to hack any firmware, or make something work with something it wasn't designed to... ie. audi pb to mazda hu, etc.
I have a kenwood hu, a kenwood keg, and just want to create a new drive since mine died. I am brand new to this as my keg has worked flawlessly for many many years.
D

Offline penfold99

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:53:53 pm »
Hi Dave, welcome to PhatHack!

You can't fool the box into taking a new drive without the box being hacked first.

Essentially the procedure is:

'Customise' the box using the original PhatNoise DMS.
Swap out the drive
Create the new partitions
Load the firmware

....all of which is easily achieved using the tools that I wrote.  I've hacked two Kenwood Kegs using the tools now, so you shouldn't need to worry about anything.

The tools have full documentation, but if there is something that you don't understand then let us know.

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try, I guess my concern is doing something that will make my orig 10G DMS unusable??? That's why I was looking for step by step, but maybe the tools will be more self explanitory than I think it is...will report back.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 07:20:56 pm »
As long as you don't wipe the existing disk partitions and try to create them manually, you should always be able to get your DMS back into a usable state if something drastic goes wrong.

Not that I am aware we have ever had a situation that we couldn't recover from, other than faulty disks....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)