Author Topic: Can't get Hacked SSD DMS to work  (Read 5950 times)

Offline hamptonhills

• PhatHacker
Can't get Hacked SSD DMS to work
« on: May 20, 2008, 05:09:44 pm »
First off, this is a great site. TONS of great info and love, love, love, the tools.

Background:

I have had an Audi PhatBox for several years now and liked VIOT so much that last year I decided to upgrade my boat stereo from a JBL to a Marine Kenwood HU (KDC-MP4032MRCC) so that I could install a Music Keg (KHD-C710).  VIOT is great on a boat because the HU is mounted inside so you can't see it at the helm, aka the steering wheel for you non-nautical types, and everything is controlled via a hardwired remote control pad. I was going to mount the keg in a Stahlin weatherproof enclosure with some shock isolation in it, but the boating season came up on me too quickly so I just mounted it to a bulkhead. Kiss that DMS goodbye. To tell you the true, the it lasted longer then I expected (2-3 wks).

Well the boating season is coming around again and I figured that using an Solid State Disk (SSD) in the DMS would be easier , quicker, and safer then creating some "REAL" shock isolation for the Keg. When I opened up the DMS I couldn't stop laughing after seeing what PhatNoise considers shock protection. I can't believe that more drives don't get toasted. The SSD is a Transcend TS32GSSD25-M  32GB 2.5" IDE 44 Pin MLC disk. I know it is slow but it is being steeply discounted because of it (~$160-$180) and data rates for music aren't that high so I figured it was a perfect match.

The Problem:

I hacked the Keg using the latest version of the DMS Hack Tools, verified that the hack was installed, put the SSD in the DMS, and created the new DMS.  The DMS works fine in the cradle. PMM (Music Manager not Media Manager) sees it, loads it, etc. The problem is that when I put the SSD DMS in the Keg, it doesn't work. The red light is on steady and green light  blinks 3 times (HU displays LOADING message) and it then goes to a rapid flash (HU displays EJECT message). After about 30 secs both lights go out and the whole process starts over again.

From what I have read in the posts the 3 green blinks means that the Keg doesn't see/can't get to the DMS.

"3 blinks followed by LED of death = unable to reset HDD"
        "Green light blinking 3 times, box reboots
         Communication problems with the IDE adapter.  Could be a loose connection (ribbon cable) or failed hard drive."

This seems to make sense because the bootload.log file isn't updated.

The original DMS works fine in the Keg.

Here is what I have so far tried to fix the problem:

1. Creating the SSD DMS using the Hack Tools and the scripts.
      2. dd'ing the 1st MB of the orig DMS to the SSD DMS and then using the tools to create the DMS
      3. Disconnecting the Keg cable, waiting, reinserting it, and then powering up the HU (tried this several times)
      4. Using a different C710 Keg and a PhatBox (Flashed with Kenwood Firmware).
      5. Changing the drive jumper from Master (jumper in) to Slave (no jumper)
          This caused a solid green until the box cycled.
      6. Reflashed the Keg with V13.01 firmware multiple times.

I haven't tried replacing the rc files in order to turn on debugging because if the box can't get to the DMS it won't do any good.

I have hit the proverbial "Self Help Wall", so I am reaching out to the experts. Any ideas? If I connect to the serial port in the Keg, will I get any info that would be useful? I don't have a spare Non-SSD 2.5" drive to verify that the hacked Keg works with a hacked DMS, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I saw that someone else used a SSD in the DMS. Does anyone know what SSD was used? Was it a true SSD or a CF card with an IDE adapter?

Thanks in advance.
Doug

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Can't get Hacked SSD DMS to work
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09:25 pm »
I don't have such SSD available for testing with the tools.  If someone can see their way to sending me one (doesn't have to be big) I'll run through the tools in debug to check to make sure it's doing what it should be.

Unless Sam, you have one?

There may be an issue with partition creation and/or formatting.  I forgot where I got to the last time this was raised.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline hamptonhills

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33:38 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.

I'd mail it to you but I just checked your profile and see that you are on the other side of the pond (I'm in the US). Is there someone in the states that could diagnose it?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 07:03:30 am »
Yea I'm in the UK, where we get ripped off left, right and center.

Sbingner is in Hawaii and he's probably the (best) to send it to, if he is willing to look at it.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 10:15:16 pm »
I'd be happy to -- PM or email me for my address if you want to