Author Topic: Fix my DMS for a price?  (Read 8409 times)

Offline mrfushoulu17

Fix my DMS for a price?
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:27:06 pm »
Ok I dont have a working DMS with the original files. My HD in my 20 gig DMS died so now I have a 60 gig HD that I want to put in the DMS but I need someone who can do this for me with their working DMS. Does anyone feel comfortable with hacking their DMS to help a guy out? I really appreciate it. I only got to use this for a couple months after I bought it off of ebay and it died  :'( . Thanks everyone!!!  ;D

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Fix my DMS for a price?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:35:41 am »
If you have a dead DMS, the thing that needs hacking is the Phatbox.  The hack must be applied using an original DMS.  That then allows the Phatbox to work with a non-original hard disk.

So you need either to borrow a working original DMS and use that to hack your box, or arrange to send your box to someone that can hack it for you.  Once that has been done, they or you can build another DMS using the tools available.

So first question - where are you located?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:37:54 am by S80_UK »

Offline mrfushoulu17

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 02:16:17 pm »
Hey thanks for the reply. Im Located in Gahanna, OH (United States).  So to get this right.. you are actually hacking the phatbox player when you do the hack?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:50:41 pm »
So to get this right.. you are actually hacking the phatbox player when you do the hack?
Yes - that's exactly what happens.

What the hack does is remove the checks that the player makes on whether the DMS is an original or not.  Once applied, the hack stays in the box, even when you change the firmware for different radio head-units. 

Phatnoise did some clever stuff which made it impossible to simply clone the hard disk drive - that is why an original DMS must be used to apply the hack.  It simply acts as a way of getting the hack into the box, and does not affect later use of the DMS.  Once hacked, the box will not make those checks, and a DMS can be created using any parallel ATA style laptop hard disc (although there have been problems getting 250G drives to work so you are best sticking with 160G or smaller).

Offline mrfushoulu17

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 06:50:25 pm »
Awesome... I appreciate that so now I have an understanding. So my dilema is that my original DMS is trashed. If someone has a Working DMS then they can fix mine then?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:22:08 pm »
Yes - same as for your other post here... http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1975.0/topicseen.html

That was why I asked where you were located - finding someone local can sometimes make life easier.  Markbowen, VorTechS and myself are all in the UK - but there is most likely someone nearer to you who could help (either loan you a good DMS, or use their DMS to hack your box if you sent it to them).

Offline mrfushoulu17

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 02:49:50 am »
Awesome!! I will keep looking. Im glad I have a good understanding now of what is needed. Thanks again and Im sure I will be keeping in touch with more questions to come once the phatnoise has been hacked. :)

Offline jtnfoley

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 04:16:43 pm »
I'm about to put my stock cart back together, in order to hack a replacement phatbox. I'm in zip 02021 if you want to send me your bits and I'll execute the hack for you.

Offline mrfushoulu17

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 01:18:37 am »
That would be awesome! How much would you be looking to get? What all would I need to send to ya?