Author Topic: Help with non-hacked DMS and Music Keg  (Read 3829 times)

Offline phatsteve

Help with non-hacked DMS and Music Keg
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:50:42 pm »
I had posted this over in the PMM Forurm, but maybe it would get a better response here?

Hello everyone!

Here is my story:  I have a currently working KHD-CX-910 (actually I have two) connected to a DDX8017.  Before Phatnoise decided to quit responding to emails I bought the PMM 3.52 (full) and VIOT plug-in which works on my XP machine.  Trouble is, I have the PC in a dual boot configuration and had planned to fully move over to Win7 (64-bit) after getting everything transferred (I cannot run virtual XP in Win7 -hardware limitation). When I try to get the software loaded on Win 7 it gives me registry errors and doesn't recognize my DMS.  To further clarify, I have 2 USB 2.0 (one GM and the other Mazda) cradles and one Kenwood USB 1.1 cradle, two 10 Gig Kenwood DMS's and 2 GM DMS's.  All of the DMS's show up in win 7 and I am able to navigate the folders in explorer using the 2.0 cradle.  The one DMS that is currently in the car has the VIOT option on it, but the others do not (or is it unit specific?) and of the 4 DMS units I have, I have only used the one that is currently installed.  None of my equipment has been modified (hacked) nor have I replaced the HD's in the DMS's.

My dilemma is that I would like to get my act together and get the system updated to the lasted firmware, have the GM DMS's converted to Music Keg (I doubt I can do video with the CX-910?) and have a solid working system that I can put my MP3's/FLAC on with the VIOT and ACC working on all the DMS's.  I am not so concerned about getting larger drives at this moment, nor hacking my system (unless I need to) Right now I am just disorganized to the point that it is frustrating trying to get everything working!  I would love to get some help on what steps I need to get going in the right direction.

Friday---   

Well I got home today and thought about it for a while and came up with an easy solution:  I have about 4 computers around the house that still have XP on them and one of them is a game server that I only use when I am hosting games.  I regularly remote desktop into it to run the server while playing on another machine, so I installed PMM 3.92 on it as well as DMS Tools.  The Kenwood DMS's were already on 13.01 so I just reformatted the two GM models in Disk Management and then popped over to DMS tools and created a couple new 40 GIG Kenwood DMS's.  Everything seems to be in order, so I'll try one of them out tomorrow.

Thanks for making the tools available!

Cheers,
Steve

Sunday--(new Post)

Well I think I really screwed this up now  :-\

Saturday I went out with the new cartridges I made and attempted to get the thing working.  When I inserted the DMS, the red and yellow light came on and the box started to look like it was transferring data (quick yellow light flashing) and then the box reset and the lights went off for a brief second..then they came back on and both went red and a red/yellow then both red again and then the data transfer indication again.  I thought "great, it is working"!    Well, after about 15 mins of this cycle I started to get worried.  The head-unit never acknowledge anything (just said AUX EXT in the display).  I let it go for about an hour, but it just never changed.....  I powered down the car and unplugged the unit and then removed the DMS and called it a day  :P

Well, today I thought I would try again, I took the one Kenwood OEM DMS that didn't have all the ACC and VIOT plug-ins installed and used the DMS Tool to fix PHSYS with non-hack firmware and update.  I went out the the SUV and plugged the Keg back in and immediately the red/yellow lights came on.  I waited for the lights to go out, but it just started doing the data transfer indications again (fast blinking yellow) and I thought that was strange since I did not have the DMS installed.  I let it run a couple times, hoping that the cycle would stop, but it just kept on going in the yellow flashing for three mins/two reds/no lights/ cycle.  I unplugged the unit and then inserted the DMS cartridge and then plugged the unit back in.  This time I just got the "error" yellow light (slow flashing) and nothing else.  I powered up the SUV (just ACCY) and the display was still the same, just with "eject" showing.  I tried this a couple times, but nothing changed.

So now I am really stumped.  I have only the original DMS that WAS working in the unit prior to my attempts at getting the GM DMS's added that remains true to the original format (only looked at the files) and am out of ideas................... :'(

Any advice/help would be appreciated.  I'm just about ready to try anything to get this system back working.. 

**Note:  I did follow the instructions from this post: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2303.msg13897.html#msg13897

Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:54:07 pm by phatsteve »

Offline phatsteve

Re: Help with non-hacked DMS and Music Keg
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:05:34 pm »
OK...I am getting somewhere...I put the Kenwood DMS without the ACC and VIOT back out to the SUV and put it back into the Keg without the head-unit on.  The slow green (I always thought it was yellow, but that was the red light next to it making it look like that at my viewing angle) light started to blink and I just let it sit there.  Low and behold in about 4 mins both light went out and that get me excited!  I turned on the HU and got the EXT HDD Screen back and it played the welcome message!  :) :)

I am now loading some music on it and we'll see how it does.  If that works I Can figure out what is causing my GM units to not work.

--be back in a few...

If anyone cares  I did get the Kenwood DMS working with the tracks I just loaded - now on to try and figure out why the GM ones don't want to work...

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:41:33 pm by phatsteve »