Author Topic: Keg 710 and Kenwood head unit  (Read 12354 times)

Offline m19pjo

Keg 710 and Kenwood head unit
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:00:00 pm »
I am new to this forum.. and i am looking here for help for the problem i have.

I bought a Keg 710 Kenwood head unit and installed it in my BMW . Being an complete idiot and not familiar with Phat nosuie and Kegs , i bought another unit this was a Phatbox whihc was fitted to a VW system.

Heres the Problem. I used the DMS from the Vw systmes and loaded it in my Keg ... Yep i know now.. not the right thing to do..now i can not make anyhting work.
Knowing i had done something very wrong.. i pruchased a DMS of Ebay and it to does not work as it it load with GM1 firmware.

So i now have 3 DMS cartridges which none will work with my Kenwood head unit.

I believ i need to load the Kenwood firm ware onto the 3 DMS cartridges..

Can any on explain how i can achieve this.  I am now very fustrated..and very Hacked off.

Please  help me some one.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Keg 710 and Kenwood head unit
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:40:00 am »
Okay, as long as you haven't done anything to any of the DMS' you have, this sounds like it could be a very simple fix!

So, using your Kenwood Keg and any of the original DMS' - here's what you need to do:

1. Download and install the DMS Tools:  http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2605.0.html
2. Insert the DMS cartridge into the cradle
3. Start the DMS tools.  

If you are using Windows XP, then you need to use the 'All Programs\PhatHack\PhatHack DMS tools' shortcut.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, then you need to use the 'All Programs\PhatHack\PhatHack DMS Tools (Elevated Rights)' shortcut.

4.  Switch the DMS tools to 'DMS Tools' mode, by clicking on the 'DMS Tools' button on the bar at the top of the program.

5. If not already selected, select the DMS from the 'Select the destination device' drop down.  

If you started the DMS tools before inserting the DMS into the cradle, hit the refresh button to get it detected.

6.  Your current firmware should be displayed next to 'Current firmware:'  You should find this also selected in the 'Select DMS firmware' dropdown.  

We need this to reflect the head unit you are using, which if I understand correctly is a Kenwood one..it's always worth updating to the latest version so if not already, make sure the dropdown has Kenwood v13.01 selected

7. Ensure the option 'Install Non-hacked firmware' is checked.

Unless you know if the box has been hacked already, in which case you can leave this option unchecked.

8.  Ensure the option 'Reflash box with firmware' is checked.

Because we don't know the current state of the box, or if one of the DMS' has inadvertently updated your Keg to act as a different variant than a Kenwood Keg, then this is the safest option.  

It will mean however that you will need to give the box plenty of time to perform the firmware update and this can take upwards of 7 to 15 minutes in total to complete!

9.  Click on the 'Update firmware' button.  The software will now prepare the DMS and the firmware.

10. Start PhatNoise Media Manager, PhatNoise Music Manager or your choice of DMS management software.

Load a single playlist onto the DMS, just so that we can prove everything is working.

10.  Correctly eject the DMS from the PC.

If your chosen software supports it, then use the appropriate Save/Eject process.

Otherwise, close your software and you'll find an icon in the bottom right next to the system clock where you can eject USB devices.  Make sure you eject the PhatNoise device and this should make sure the DMS is safe for use in the car.

Note to self:  Add an option for this in the DMS tools!

11. Take the DMS to the car, but don't do anything yet!

12. Unplug the cable from the Keg, and reset the Kenwood head unit.

There's a small reset button on most, if not all, Kenwood head units.  
Attaching multiple boxes to the head unit often gets it confused and they'll not correctly see the box until you do this.

Before pressing the reset button, if the unit has a stereo code make sure you know it as you will be prompted for it once the device is reset!

13.  Plug the cable back into the Keg, insert the DMS into the Keg... switch the head unit to select the Keg and wait!  Patiently!  Very patiently!

You'll notice the green light on the Keg flashing fairly rapidly whilst this process is happening.

If you notice that the sequence appears to be: red light on, flashing green lights flash for a while, red light goes out, and this repeats - there's a problem and the update is not occuring.

14.  Once the update is complete (don't forget, be patient!) the box should reboot itself.  

Make sure you switch your head unit to reselect the Keg.
And all being well, your playlist should start playing... and everything is back to normal!

If not, then don't worry - we have ways of identifying what could be wrong!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline m19pjo

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:08 pm »
Hi thank you very much for the process.. i followed it exactly and now the Kenwood firmware loaded onto DMS successfully.

put the DMS in the Keg...
the lights falshed as you described.. first red and green ... then the green fashed rapidly for about 15-20 mins.. thenslowed and flashed setady .

the head unit now comes up with Disc .. then Aux and stays at that.

no sound..no other respone...(tuner and Tape both work fine...just no keg)

really really fustrated now. determined to get it working... help

For you info the Head unit is..KRC-877r

Have you any other suggestions..i can try.. ???

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:54:07 pm »
Sounds about right for Kenwood (As you can see from my profile, I've had this problem numerous times).....

First, try disconnecting the cable from the Keg again and then reset the head unit again.
Then plug it all back in and see how it goes, and when you select the Keg again... go and have another look at the light sequence.

If it's not working, then we need to get a the details from two logs.... so, put the DMS back in the cradle and start the DMS tools.

Then, click on the RC Logs dropdown on the toolbar and select 'Install Verbose Logging'.
Also after click on the 'Boot checker' button.
Eject the DMS safely.

Return the DMS to the Keg, switch it all on... give it a couple of minutes. 
After, return the DMS to the cradle start the DMS tools and then click on the 'Boot check' button.  It'll give you a message indicating if there is a problem with the box booting up.  What does that message say?

You can also post the bootload.log file found on the PHTSYS drive (which is what's behind the message you get), and also mail me the logfile.txt ( vortechs AT blueyonder DOT co DOT uk) from the same location.

Hopefully this will give us an indication of whats wrong!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline m19pjo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:28 pm »
YIIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for all your help.. try a couple of times tonight the procedures.. and i think the issue i had was while booting i did not leave the head unit on Disc/aux..
tonight i repeated the process and left the head unit on DISC/AUX unit firmware loaded.. Than disconnected the cable to the Keg , then plugged it back and tried again..

AND ITS working...

Thanks alot...

loaded about 300 tracks and tested it all good.

the only thing now is that some tracks play louder than others..is there a setting that set the volumes all at the same level when loading them..

ONCE AGIAN A VERY BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP..i WILL DROP YOU AN EMAIL SO YOU HAVE MY ADDRESS.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:34:06 am »
Well, I'd have never have figured on someone switching the source during the update! :)
And I was going to use that post as a sort of FAQ, looks like I need to modify it a bit! ;)

Anyway, glad you are up and running!